Why am I getting a black display with my new graphics card?

Osama J March 20, 2014

I am using a gaming PC with an Intel Core – i3-2100 processor, Intel DH61WW motherboard and 8GB RAM. I was using a Gigabyte nVidia GT430 DDR3 2GB graphcis card for 2 years on my PC without any issues.

Recently I sold that graphics card and replaced it with Gigabyte HD7770 1GB GDDR5. After I plugged in the new card in my PC and turned my PC ON , it was not showing any display on monitor (although all components of the CPU were correctly plugged and turned ON , even the graphics card’s fan also started spinning which means it was ON) . I tried a lot but was unable to get anything up on monitor. I disconnected every component and rechecked all cords and connections and again turned ON the PC but no avail. So I claimed the warranty and they just replaced the card with a new one. The new card presented the same problem so I instantly went to their shop and demanded to check it. They plugged it in their PC and showed me that it was running and showing display on the monitor. I have no option but to take the card back home. Then I borrowed an LCD from my friend (thinking of it as a monitor issue , but again it was not showing anything on that LCD too. Now I am really fed up. The card is fine and the monitor is fine but I can’t get anything up on the screen. My power supply and motherboard can support this card because few weeks back I tested my friend’s Gigabyte HD7770 on my PC and it was running and I played games on that. Now I have no idea where the problem lies. Please tell me what to do now ?

1. weedpuffs

About 2-3 years ago i had the exact problem with my graphics card.... or at least the symptoms you're describing are 100% as mine.

I also had an Intel CPU and an ATI card. It seems that there are some incompatibilities between some models of ATI cards with some Intel CPUs.

The actual fix:
    I bought another graphics card. A different model. Never had another problem.

Temporary fix:
    Right after you boot, you should hear some beeps from your internal speaker, because the computer fails to detect your card.
    If you have a power supply with a ON/OFF switch:
    1 - place a finger on that switch
    2 - after you turn on your PC when you hear the beeps immediately turn your PSU switch OFF
    3 - one second later flip it to ON again and...
    4 - turn on your PC again
    If you don't have a switch.... you can pull the power cord and then plug it back in and try turning your PC on.
    It could take 2-3 tries to get this working - if you have the problem i had.

If you manage to turn your PC on with the above written method, you should also check for other drivers for your card. At that time i discovered that using older drivers resulted in a decrease of failed video card detections.

This is what i did for about 6 months. After not finding a permanent solution i decided to buy another model. No problems since then. I still use that computer for some small stuff.

I hope you manage to temporarily fix your PC.

• Osama J

But the intel sandy bridge series is compatible with that card. As I mentioned the same model card of my friend worked on my PC before. As about beeps, I don't hear a beep at all. Computer turns ON as usual by the sounds of it, the only issue is that the output from the graphics card is not displayed on monitor so I am just ?blind'

2. wahiedi

pick the ram and put it again and start the computer
    and i guarantee it will work like charm

3. Neil H

Have you tried using a cheap PCI graphics (not PCIe) as a substitute for the onboard video?

Also Try lowering (aka removing) some system memory as I have a friend who recently had a similar problem and that was the solution for getting the video to work. It was oddly enough a Interrupt request problem. (unusual these days)

4. Osama J

yesterday I tested my gigabyte 7770 on my friend's PC, it was running...so it is fine. now the problem is definitely narrowed down to the motherboard.
    About the dead port, what happened is that I always used to update my BIOS, after a BIOS update last year, my system just didnt go beyond the boot screen. So I have to take it to repair shop and they somehow resetted my BIOS to the default version (one that came with it when I purchased it) after this resetting, 2 of the motherboard ports stopped working including the monitor port and the PS/2 port. I keep using the board with the graphics card until I sold it and bought this HD7770 which is (as I told) in working condition.

5. dragonmouth

Try pulling out your video card, cleaning its contacts by gently rubbung them with a soft pencil eraser, then re-inserting it in the slot. Make sure it is firmly and properly seated in the slot. Also make sure that the monitor cable is fully plugged into the card and the screws holding it to the card are tight.

is it possible for you to check the BIOS and disable the on board graphic card, normally it should be done automatically...maybe it is tuck there because as you reported internal on board monitor port is dead?
    how about to boot on a livecd? will you see anything?

7. Ahmedelkherbetawy

maybe the driver not installing well

If you don't see anything at all at any time I suggest to clear the CMOS (disconnect the power cord and remove the battery on the motherboard for a few seconds, use the physical button if available to clear the CMOS).

If you do see the BIOS/UEFI boot screen but nothing further then it may be the graphics card driver. You might have to uninstall the NVIDIA driver first, then shutdown, plug in the AMD card and boot up again followed by AMD driver installation.

Make sure you have not only connected the 24-pin main power but also the additional 4-pin 12V power connector to the motherboard.

Test your friends card again, test your card in your friends computer.

• Osama J

I cant see anything, not even the boot screen.
      About the driver issue, I cant do it because the internal on board monitor port is dead since many months during a bios upgrade. So I only can use a graphics card to see anything and this time the graphics card is not showing anything so I cant do anything on computer.

• Osama J

An additional thing :
      Monitors ask me to connect to a VGA or DVI input means they dont detect being plugged into the card.

• Jan F

Well, you should never sell your hardware without having a working replacement and therefor a working system. You could have booted with the GT430, remove the driver, then shutdown and install the new card.

Anyway, right now your explanation makes me believe that your problem is more serious than just the GPU not working.

The thing is, a BIOS upgrade should not kill the onboard graphics port. If that is the case you are either running on a corrupt BIOS or the upgrade caused damage to the motherboard or CPU. For example a corrupt BIOS may have set some frequency or voltage too high causing damage, worst case it killed the Integrated Graphics Solution or the PCI-Express controller of your CPU or maybe graphics I/O lanes on the board.

I would suggest you borrow your friends graphics card again and test if you can successfully boot with it. If that isn't working either then it's either one of the above.

One thing you could try is disconnect all hardware from your motherboard (hard drive, optical drive, GPU, other add-in cards) including the RAM. Now turn on your system. You should hear a beep code duo to the memory missing. If that is the case I tend to say the problem is with your CPU.

If you know what you are doing you can try reseating the CPU in the socket to make sure all the pins are properly aligned. Maybe while changing the GPU you somehow put stress on the cooler causing the CPU to move off center.