How do I get my Windows Phone to download my AOL email again?

MIKE D. November 2, 2014

My 6 month old WindowsPhone (Samsung Focus S) suddenly will not download emails from my AOL account. I can send, retrieve all my Folders, add attachments – but not receive. IT WILL NOT SYNC! ATT the rep was on the phone with me for over 3 hours; we removed the SIM card, removed the battery, re-set everything … and it still will not sync. All other functions of the phone are normal. Samsung’s only US warranty service station is in Plano, TX and the turn around time is 5-7 days, leaving me without a phone for more than a week. Could use a little help here, please.

1. Williamson Kara

Check your account settings
    AOL Technical Support Number : 1-888-959-6787

Excellent suggestions from ha14 and Jan. Basically, if you can send emails, then your phone and its internet connection are OK, so it's something to do with the account.

I would start by logging onto AOL on a PC/Mac and trying to send and receive some messages there. If it doesn't work, it's a problem with AOL (password, quota, service outage, whatever). If all does work, however, then the problem is on the phone.

So, assuming the password tested OK on the computer, remove your AOL account on the phone, switch it off and on again just be sure the new settings have been saved, and set up the AOL account again.

• Mike D.

Thanks to ha14, Jan F, and Oron J for listening and making those suggestions. AOL email sends and receives OK from both my laptop and tablet, from any location. I have a gmail account and a live.com (Hotmail) account, and downloads from those accounts to the phone are successful. So this isolates the problem to AOL and not my phone. Having done every one of those tasks pertaining to AOL multiple times - remove AOL and reinstall, verify servers, IMAP vs POP, battery and SIM both out and back in - and having no success, I must now contact AOL and see what their tech support suggests. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions

3. Jan F.

double check your account settings
    http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=73332

Keep in mind that if you are using the POP protocol to retrieve emails only one device can establish a connection at a time.

Test the AOL account on another device and/or application to make sure it's not a problem with the mail account.

Have you tried removing and re-adding the AOL account? Reset the password
    Aol mail does not sync properly on Mail app.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-ecoms/aol-mail-does-not-sync-properly-on-mail-app/6d3dd720-4fc8-45ac-9367-b6c4589ba752