How do I get Windows 7 to recognize SATA drives?

David Tickner October 29, 2014

Hello, I have been building PCs for 15 years and learning slowly and the hard way.

I have mastered nearly everything EXCEPT installing more than 2 SATA drives with success on ASUS motherboards. The BIOS language is English which is great except I never see an option make the drives appear within Windows 7 (which is what I use.)

My motherboards have 6, 8 and 10 SATA ports at the moment. I get an operating system drive and a data drive recognized but as for all the rest, they are only recognized on boot options in the BIOS.

They are there and they are functioning drives, brand new and some older data drives with tested functionality, so they are not faulty.

PLEASE help me figure out why with a fresh install of Windows followed by the motherboard drivers, and 5-8 SATA drives installed I only ever get to see 2.

In an ideal situation I boot up and I would like to see Drive C, Drive D, Drive E, Drive F, Drive G, Drive H, Drive I etc…

Hello, sometimes that can happen when the drives do not have a letter assigned to it. To check, try the following:

-- right click on computer icon
    -- select manage
    -- provide password if any

Do the drive/drives show in disk management? Do they have letters assigned to it? Is/are the drives formatted? If the drive/drives are not formatted they would still appear there but as unallocated space, so you would have to format them first.

If they don't, you could try assigning a letter:

-- right click on a drive
    -- select change letter and path
    -- click on add
    -- select the next available letter and ok
    -- if that is the issue, explorer should open and show you the new drive