How do I get rid of the error message in Microsoft Outlook “The path specified… \inbox.pst is not valid”?

Eric October 6, 2014

Whenever I start Outlook, I receive a pop-up warning: “The path specified for the file F:NPP Outlook Folders\Inbox.pst is not valid”

After clicking “OK” I’m advanced to a new window labelled: “Create/Open Outlook Data File” with File name: “Inbox” selected in drop down window, and Files of type: “Outlook data files (*.pst)

I close out the “Create/Open Outlook Data File” window and Outlook is back to normal, loading new mail.

The prior two step glitch relates to long ago when I searched for archived email on an external drive. Unfortunately, it seems to have perpetually messed up the start-up process. Any suggestions for correcting this and bringing the start-up back to normal will be appreciated. Thanks!

1. Eric

Oron, your solution cured the problem. I can't believe how simple that was... and how long it proved to be an annoyance.

Thanks very much!!

Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)
    https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost--25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Start-Control Panel-Mail-Data files-Click on Add-Give a name to the data file and click on Ok-Select the data file which you have created-Click on Set as default. Start Outlook. Remove the old pst after creating the new.

You don't mention which version of Outlook you use, so I can't give you step by step instructions, but what you want to do is go into "Account setup" or "Data Files" and remove the inbox.pst from the list of data sources.