How do I get rid of the AVG popup window on my PC?

Mary J. Brownlie October 31, 2014

Regarding my AVG homepage: recently, I saw a small 3×5 inch form (on my screen) asking if I want to continue using AVG as my home page. I checked “yes I do want the AVG homepage and settings”.

The second choice I left alone (there were two choices to consider). Since that time (at least a month or more back) I continually see that small screen “pop up” and then I click the “X” to remove it. It will go away, but ultimately pop up again at various times. Very annoying and troublesome.

I have searched my help directory, asked people, etc., what to do, but to date no solution has been given.

I am not any kind of a technical PC user, but have been a user/owner of PCs for several years. I’ve never had an issue like this.

I have Norton Security. I tried to convey the problem through Norton, but so far (my fault I am sure) I have not communicated correctly to get results.

Would greatly appreciate any advice/help available.

Sounds like you got roped into installing one of AVG's less salubrious products. If you're using Norton as your security package, I can't see why you would wand AVG as your home page, so my suggestion is you remove all traces of AVG as follows:
    - Uninstall any AVG product listed in "Uninstall a program" on your computer (in the control panel).
    - Download JRT from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com and let it clean your PC.
    - Download and run ADWCleaner from the same site, scan your computer with it and remove any malware/adware it finds.
    - Restart your PC
    - Go into your web browser and reset your home page to something that's actually useful to you (for most of my clients, I find that either Google or a blank page works nicely).

yap do you have 2 antivirus on your pc?
    my be you have a malware that is causing this popup? do a scan with your antivirus, superantispyware...
    you can try to reset firefox (this will remove extensions...so make a backup of your bookmarks)
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

3. Ben S

Do you actually want AVG as your home page? You could change it if you want something else.

Further, it sounds like you have both AVG and Norton installed. Is this true? If so, you need to remove one of them, because having two antivirus programs running at once is not good.

• M.J. Brownlie

Thank you for responding.
      I do have AVG as the home page and
      have for some time.
      I have Norton for security. Don't have
      AVG security.

I may change the home page and hope
      to eliminate the 3X5 in. popup.
      Thank you for your ideas. I do appreciate
      the thoughts.

• Ben S

You're welcome. If changing the home page doesn't fix the issue, check your installed programs list for anything related to AVG and remove it. Let me know if you have any other questions.