How do I get my files off a “stalling” external HD

December 13, 2013

I have an external HD formatted for Mac OS. I have around 550 GB used out of the 1 TB drive.
So the drive freezes up when searching, opening or copying many of the files. For example, I go into a folder of pictures select and try and copy 100 of the photos (0.1 gb) to another drive (to backup). It takes 20 minutes to check the files, then once the “copying” indicator in Finder starts to show the copying status, an hour or 2 later only 10-20 of the photos have been copied over.
Now I go and copy over the pictures 5 at a time. This works fine for some, then stalls again (as above) for other photos in the folder.

This is a consistent failure for many files in many different folders on the HD.

Now I’ve run the disk utility tool in Utilites, and it doesn’t find any errors. I’ve also tried using iSkySoft data recovery and EaseUS Data recovery to see if I can see the files and move them that way, but neither lists any files to move.

I don’t know a lot about data recovery, so I’m hoping for a strategy and stepbystep game plan to pull my files off the drive. I can see them in Finder, I am just not able to access them or move them.

Thanks..

see what diskwarrior will tell you
    http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/