Should I get a laser or an inkjet printer?

Anonymous May 13, 2014

I need to buy a new multifunction printer but I am really confused on which is the best printer. Should I go for a monochrome multifunction printer or a ninkjet color printer?

Problem with the inkjet type is that if not used for days the printer head clogs and it is very expensive to replace it.

How does the cost of Inkjet printing differ from a laser printer?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-does-the-cost-of-inkjet-printing-differ-from-a-laser-printer/

That really depends on your needs. Specifically, how much you print, your budget and your need to print in colour. Laser printers are generally more reliable, and as long as you buy the right printer (not too cheap), they tend to have lower running costs. The prints they produce are more resilient and generally of better quality for text. There is such a vast range of models of both inkjets & lasers that it's difficult to make a blanket statement, but this is generally the picture.
    Inkjets are obviously better for printing colour (unless you can afford a colour laser, and perhaps even then), and at "personal" prices, you tend to get more features for your buck (WiFi, double-sided printing, memory card readers etc).

Regarding the ink drying out quickly, that's mostly a problem with Epson printers, which use a piezo-electric head. Other inkjets use bublejet heads which boil the ink, so they self clean/melt and clog up a lot less (it can still happen if you leave the printer unused for many months, but even then you can usually clean them using the by running the utility software).

Let us know more about your needs and we'll try to help. It would also help to know what country you're in.