How do I get a Jelly Bean bootloader on a Samsung GT-19100G Android phone?

Richard O September 20, 2014

I wanted to install CyanogenMod on my Samsung GT-19100G, but I was warned that I MUST first upgrade to stock Android 4.x before installing CyanogenMod, or the device won’t boot into the system due to it relying on a newer bootloader.

A 4.1 bootloader is recommended. So how do I get the stock Android 4.X in Ghana.

Hello Richard, that's an interesting question. Should you not already be on the 4.1 bootloader for the Galaxy S2? If you are not, you could always try installing 4.1, first:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/development/stock-official-firmwares-i9100gxxlsr-4-t1679636

You need to be absolutely sure that the custom ROM is for your specific model of phone. If it's not, you will experience problems.

May I ask what kind of cell towers are used in Ghana? Is it GSM or CDMA based?

CDMA phones require that the provider push out a firmware image or that the custom ROM be for this exact model of phone. GSM custom ROMs tend to be more flexible, but you still want the ROM to be for your exact model of phone.

• Richard O

I am very sorry for the late response. Ghana is predominantly GSM with just one grandpapa(the most piteous network),Kasapa as CDMA and as such android updates are largely inconsiderate. the country is not tech-sensitive and many are unaware of the android ecosystem and the smartphone terrain in general.
      I checked the available bootloaders from the link and it seems that they are all region locked or restricted to certain countries .I want to know if they will work fine in my country or not. Many thanks in advance.

• Kannon Y

No worries, Richard.

I believe the baseband data is located inside of the bootloader, so flashing another region's baseband (when you flash a custom ROM) may or may not render the phone's cellular (or other wireless) features inoperable. Again, GSM is an international standard, so you can use your phone in many countries, provided that your phone possesses an international or local SIM card and has its APN settings correctly configured. If it has a differing baseband than what's available in your region, it should still work.

However, I doubt that Ghana's phones use a baseband specific to Ghana. If it does, you might be able to use another ROM with a different baseband than yours. Hopefully I am not wrong in saying this, because flashing the wrong firmware (with the wrong baseband) will make it so that the phone will not work with cellular towers. Fortunately, provided you install a custom recovery, you can make a complete backup of your current operating system. Store this backup on an SD card and make a copy of this backup, if possible.

To check your baseband, go to Settings -> About Phone -> Baseband version

Once you have the baseband, Google it and see if there's ROMs out there. Ghana likely uses an "international" baseband (I think such a thing exists). If not, provided your hardware is identical to the custom ROM, you can install a custom ROM with a differing baseband.

Mine reads something like this: M8974A-2.0.50.1.16 (which is a Nexus 5 baseband). It is specifically designed for use in North America, however, because it's GSM I should be able to use it outside of the United States.

The most important point: You must be absolutely sure your Galaxy S2 is identical in hardware to the hardware that the custom ROM is designed for. Samsung makes dual SIM phones, international phones, etc.. with subtle hardware differences. If the ROM isn't designed for your hardware, it can become boot-looped.

As a precaution, always make sure you have a custom recovery installed. And this custom recovery may have certain prerequisites. The custom recovery will allow you to make a back up of your current operating system. It will also making flashing other ROMs very easy.