How do I get Internet on my laptop without requiring WiFi or wired connections?

July 6, 2014

I would like to know how to get the Internet on my laptop PC without having to depend on any outside WiFi or other connections.

There is a lot of information about how to turn my PC into a WiFi hotspot – most of which is way above my head – but they all seem to say that first you need to take an existing connection, such as from a hotel, and use it to turn your PC into a hotspot.

Others require you to tell them what your zip code is – I travel around America and so it is pointless giving them my zip code as it changes constantly. I need 24/7 access to the internet without relying on anyone else to supply it and without it costing an arm and a leg.

I would like to mention FreedomPop and other "free" internet hotspot programs and devices as they are an option, however, the service is very limited for decent access. FreedomPop uses a subsidized Sprint network, and works in major cities and away from high amounts of interference. Since you travel a lot, I would stay away from these network internet providers.

Most cell phone provider would offer mobile data internet access for laptops through the use of portable hotspot devices or 3G/4G USB dongles. If you wish to use the internet while traveling, as in actually moving in a vehicle, I would go with the USB dongle; however, if you are mostly stationary in a hotel or coffee shop, I would go with a portable hotspot as they would offer better signal strength, meaning more stable connections. I would also check the coverage area maps to ensure that the areas that you would be traveling to most would have internet access. Also, depending on how much internet you use, you may want to go with an unlimited plan, or at least 2GB with no overages as it can be very expensive should you go over your allotted amount of data usage. Streaming music and videos would take up a lot of bandwidth and usage, so avoiding those as much as possible would be helpful (it is easy to reach 2-5GB of data within a couple of hours just by watching YouTube or other video sharing websites).

2. Aytee111

Wow, brilliant. Thanks so much for the info. Getting my sums right beforehand is the key to it all.

3. Aytee111

For anyone who is interested, I have found one plan for internet only - millenicom.

In India, we use something known as a USB DataCard / Dongle. It looks like a USB pen drive, within which there is a 3G SIM card inserted. We can choose either a prepaid data plan or a postpaid, as per our preference. The first time you plug it in in the lappy, it automatically installs and configures the driver and the dialer. So every time you use, just plug it in, wait a minute for it to be sensed, and dial out for a 3G connection. Some of them also double up as a storage, if you insert a mini SD card with them. Isn't something similar available in the USA. For example, something like this: http://www.aircel.com/AircelWar/appmanager/aircel/kolkata;jsessionid=Twp3T6GMy3wyL5vvnbYGvsQLpcQyKnDhfJYGKWMjGlX9J4F1LKl8!58544857!-1394986932?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=P39200179271331717578708

5. Aytee111

That's funny! What I meant about not depending on others is the coffee shops, campgrounds, rest areas, etc. I've never heard of a "mobile internet plan" - do they have such things here? In the little research I did today, the cost of the phone contracts here is quite shocking. I will do my utmost to find another way.

Let's put it that way:
    You will ALWAYS be depended on someone or something else if you want internet access. Even if you shot your own satellite into orbit and use it for data communication it would still have to interface with the rest of the internet at some point (probably an internet exchange).

Options without wired connection and without WiFi are limited:
    Access via GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSPA, LTE ~ basically, via a mobile provider e.g. via phone or a USB modem.

I don't know about the contracts in the US but I do believe like in most other areas it will come cheaper to get a decent mobile internet plan instead of using tethering with a mobile phone contract.

7. Aytee111

In order to make life easier it has to get more complicated! Seems that I am going to have to join the rat race, sigh.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this.

8. Aytee111

I have an ordinary phone and don't have a contract with any company, just a month-to-month. I would ideally like not to be forced into getting one, especially with Verizon. So, if I get some sort of smart phone, I could use that?

• Oron J

You need a smartphone with 3G (or 4G), and unless you have a contract don't even think about using it as a hotspot. The cost for accessing data on a pay-as-you-go connection is exorbitant!

you can Connect to the Internet On Your Laptop Through the Mobile Phone. Which Phone do you have?

10. Collin

You Can't..... You would need either a Hotspot from another device or magic...

You can't connect to the internet 24/7 without a connection being made 24/7 or a signal being processed.

I reccomend a Smart phone, which you can just use as the hotspot device. Verizon Wireless has a hotspot device which they sell. It cost about $100 and you will need a Verizon Contract to use it. That's all I know so far. Good Luck! :)