How do I get Intel Rapid Start Technology working again on my Windows 8.1 Lenovo IdeaPad?

Michael B February 8, 2014

After updating Windows 8 to 8.1, the Intel Rapid Start Technology fails with a BSOD for drive power state failure. I have to power off the unit and power it back on to use the computer.

It seems that the partitions on the 24GB SSD partitions have been changed. I need to find out how to restore them or at least what size and type the partitions should be.

Michael, please open Disk Management, make the center portion a reasonable width so everything can be read, take a screenshot of the Disk Management window only, upload your image to a sharing service, and post the link to the image here.

• Mike B
    • Bruce E

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. I need to be able to see both the list of partition information as well as the graphical layout below it. It is generally easier to simply use the snipping tool and capture the entire window instead of cropping a smaller section. The instructions I'll be giving you will be different depending on what the current laoyout looks like.

2. Michael B

Thanks for the replies Hovsep A and Bruce E.

The laptop came configured in AHCI mode and the drive uses GPT partitions. In the BIOS, AHCI mode is selected and Intel Rapid Start is enabled. Both are factory settings. However, iRST Partition Status = Invalid. It seems that SSD partition is not being recognized by the iRST driver or by the Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver Installer (hence re-install fails).

The original configuration should have had a hibernation partition equal to or slightly larger than the amount of RAM installed on the computer, and a partition sized to the remaining SSD for caching.

It seems that during Windows 8.1 upgrade, a new 350 MB recovery partition is created on GPT disks. Reference this link: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/169284-windows-81-creates-2nd-recovery-partition/ .

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I no longer have hibernation partition and 3 recovery partitions, one being 350MB. Device manager shows two events occurred on the date that I upgraded to Windows 8.1, a "device configured (disk.inf)" event and a "device started" event.

The mSATA SSD drive was configured to act as if it is part of the HDD, and I think that creating the new recovery partition actually reconfigured the SSD partitions and caused the problem. There is no longer a hibernation partition equal to RAM size required by the Rapid Start Technology driver.

I don't have the factory partion sizes or types, and am not sure where to go from here.

try to update Intel Rapid Start Technology driver for Windows 8.1
    Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T430u and Lenovo V490u
    Intel Rapid Start Technology for Windows 8.1(32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Y480, Y580
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS037366
    choose the right driver for your Laptop

• Michael B

Thank you for the input. However, all Lenovo drivers are up to date, except Rapid Start.

The Intel Rapid Start Technology driver will not install. An error dialog is displayed: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

The hardware obviously met the minimum requirements when I bought it a Rapid Star was functioning. It seems that them mSATA SSD drive partitions have been changed either by a Windows update or upgrade to Windows 8.1 (which does indeed modify the partitions) . The hard drive caching also appears to be affected, as it also uses the mSATA SSD.

This a common problem noted on Lenovo forums, other vendor forums including Intel's, but there have been no solutions forthcoming. A Google search will show many users with similar questions.

I would like to find out how to restore the partition structure (not sure what that was) to allow the Rapid Start functions to work. Any input on setting the partition structure back to 'stock' would be much appreciated.

maybe is SATA/AHCI mode, try to change to one of the mode and boot, see if this will help and perhaps then to update Intel Rapid Start Technology driver driver

• Bruce E

Michael: I have yet to see any hotfix, patch, service pack or any other type of update from Microsoft that changes the partition structure of a drive starting with Windows NT 3.51 through today's systems. If the partition structure was changed on the drive, it would have to be an intentional change made by the user such as installing a secondary OS or manipulation using Disk Management or another partitioning tool.

Were BIOS settings changed? Is the Intel Rapid Start Technology still enabled in the BIOS?