How do I get faster internet speeds with a 3G Tata Photon dongle?

Drsunil V August 30, 2014

Is it mandatory to upgrade an Internet dongle to enable increased speed provided by the network?

Recently, Tata DoCoMo increased its network speeds. To get the increased speeds, is it necessary to upgrade the dongle to a newer version, or would I get the increased speeds with my Tata Photon dongle?

I have another question: Can the Tata Photon dongle be used only on Windows or will it work also on a Mac?

If the increased speeds are provided using a different network/technology e.g. LTE then and upgrade (or actually change) of the dongle may be necessary, assuming it doesn't support that.

Using the same, upgrading or changing the dongle alone does not guarantee higher speeds. That depends whether the signal at your location is available, strong enough to achieve the higher speeds and also if your contract includes that. A lot of contracts are not only staggered by the included data volume but also in maximum achievable (unlocked) speeds. So a higher prized data plan may be required to be eligible for higher data transfer rates.

Whether the dongle will work on Mac or not is hard to say. If the provider does not offer a software (often called dashboard) for Mac then it's unlikely you will get it working. Then again, a lot of providers are using re-branded Huawei hardware which in return do offer a software for Mac for almost all their dongles and work even for the rebranded ones. Then it simply comes down whether you get the right settings to make it work (APN, username, password, ...)

• Sunil

Thanks for nice answer! Please tell whether Tata Photon Dongle recently increased speed is due to network/technology?

• Jan F

I do not know this provider and the website I found for Tata Docomo does not list any recent news or information. I suggest to contact their customer service for details.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell , whether it is compatible for mac? It's one url mentions download links for multiple platforms ( win 8 , win 7 , mac..... )

• Jan F

http://www.tatadocomo.com/tata-photon-download-dialer.aspx
      This site lists a Huawei drivers for Mac. If the driver works for your modem model then it is compatible. If it doesn't work for your modem then I suggest to contact their customers support.

• Sunil

Thanks for v.sincere and elaborate answers!