Why do I get this error when I try to share my internet connection from my phone to my laptop?

Suvadeep P July 1, 2014

I am using blackberry curve 9360. I have a 3g connection. I want to use the phone’s internet connection on my laptop. Whenever I am try to connect I gett this error:

“Failed to start mobile internet. The ppp link control was terminated. Please check your profile settings and make sure your radio is turned on.”

I can use the internet smoothly on my phone but not on the laptop. Can anyone provide me the correct settings for it.
I am in Kolkata, India.

Thanks.

1. Suvadeep P

I think its not gonna work like that. I have tried and its not working. I have to call Vodafone customer service and then have to configure all the settings. Its chargeable as well and also there will be a user id and password for dial up connection.

2. Howard B

@Jan F: Tethering a Blackberry uses it as a "tethered modem," so the PPP error isn't something that's unusual.

Here's what Blackberry says about tethering, with links for using it as a USB tethered modem, or tethering via BlueTooth:

I could only find this error to be from Windows when trying to dial-in so I'm under the impression that you are trying to use your blackberry as a modem:
    The thing is, when you use your phone as a modem you actually have to fully configure the dial-in within Windows. Therefor it is quite possible that it is working your phone (which should get all the proper settings via the provider) wherein Windows gives you an error.

This KB lists most of the things you may have to consider in addition to whatever your provider may require.
    http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB05196&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&ViewedDocsListHelper=com.kanisa.apps.common.BaseViewedDocsListHelperImpl

My personal suggestion would be to use internet tethering instead of using it as a modem.
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/47561/mes1343575314313.jsp