Why do I get an error message saying my browsers are outdated when they are clearly up to date?

Woj October 18, 2014

Hey,

I want to pull data from web page using web query in Excel. The problem is that when I put a web address into “excel browser” (www.olx.pl), I get an error message.

I have the latest browser (FF33 and IE11) but when I try load this website the browsers are closed. The error is shown in the screenshot below. The sentence “Korzystasz z nieaktualnej wersji przegl?darki” means something like “You are using an outdated version of the browser

Woj
I use Office 2013

1. Woj

I think so too, thanks for help guys.
    cheers

Woj, from your original discussion and your clarification it seems to me that the problem is actually with the website (www.olx.pl) which is not recognising modern browsers for what they are.

The best solution would be to contact their webmaster and explain the problem so that they can fix their broken site, rather than you working around its limitations.

3. Woj

hello guys - tkanks for reply

I should add some info more precisely to clarify.
    I want use Excel to pull some data from this site from 1st post (www.olx.pl - its something like ebay market place, to compare quantity of listed items day-by-day to keep track of items which I'm looking for) At next step I wanted extract pulled data using Excels functions but I hit wall at 1st step - pulling data (quering web). I used Excel's Data --> From Web and in opened "New Web Query" window I pasted url. At this moment I must say that at this moment FF is opened don't play any role - because Excel's functionality allow pulling / querying data from web even if you DON"T have any FF/Chrome/Safari computer.(so I think it was little confusing for you Jan F. :) So from begining - we can run Excel's web query when ALL browsers are closed.
    ha14's 1st post is going in good direction but don't touch real problem. It solves FF's acting issue and show how to change as what FF is recognized by web servers side. The main and top question is how and where can we change this behaviour for Excel to be recognized as lets say IE11 or FF33 etc ?? I think that this posr clarified more deeply the main problem :) Its not in FF configuration , its in Excel's config problem and we should find option like FF's "about:config" but in Excel. where it is buried ?

• Jan F.

Excel should be using the IE engine and it's Internet Options.
      click Start and type "Internet options" in the search box, that should get you there.

However, to the best of my knowledge you will need a third-party add-on to change the user agent sent by IE and I am not sure a web query from Excel will actually make use of add-ons.

5. Jan F.

I didn't quite follow all the different angles of your question so I will answer them separated.

If you try to load web data using Excel and it gives you an error please state that error.

If your browsers close when loading a certain website, try visiting a different one. If it happens with all websites check your browsers' plug-ins and add-ons. You might also want to scan your computer for malware or other infections.

If a website is telling you that your browser is outdated while it really isn't there are two options:
    1. the website simply didn't recognize your browser correctly (which can happen)
    2. the website is trying to have you download some 'installation' file containing adware or malware