How do I get my Dropbox working on a MacBook?

January 12, 2014

I am not very tech savvy so please keep this in mind when responding.

I just want my Dropbox to operate correctly. When I add files or make changes to an existing document within my shared folder of Dropbox the changes don’t show on anyone else’s Dropbox, who have the appropriate rights to the shared file. The changes aren’t reflected on my iPhone’s Dropbox either.

I am extremely frustrated and I am sure it is operator error! Help!

Why aren't certain files on one computer syncing to another?
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/145/en

Have you followed Jan's suggestion? What did you find - is Dropbox running? Is the file marked as synchronised (tick on green background) or otherwise (in which case, what is its status)?

3. Will F

Has the item uploaded?

4. Will F

Are you checking the item in a different location immediately? If you are I would leave time for it to upload first.

Do you have the Dropbox icon at the menu bar in the top right near the clock?
    If that is not the case then Dropbox simply isn't running (properly) on your Mac. Download the latest version from the Dropbox homepage, double-click to open the disk image and start the installation by double-clicking the Dropbox.app

Once Dropbox is running does it show the proper status icon for being synced (green circle with check mark)?
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/406/en

Further investigate syncing issues by navigating into the Dropbox folder where the changed file resides and see what it's status icon is.

If the status for the chosen file says synced then log-in to the Dropbox website, download the problematic file and see if the version on the Dropbox server reflects the changes you made to the local version in your Dropbox folder.

If the file in your Dropbox folder and the file on the website are the same the problem resides at the other accounts you shared the file with.

Most of the time when Dropbox is running but files are out of sync within the shared folders the issue is quota related. What most people don't understand is that a shared folders size is counted against each persons quota! So for example if you only have 100MB of quota left and join a shared folder that has a total of 200MB you will not get all the data residing in it.