How do I get bookmarks in Midori browser?

Looking For Help October 4, 2014

I have 2 main problems:

I have a desktop running Windows 8 with 8 gigs RAM about 10 months old. I wanted to run Firefox on a memory stick, so that I can move it back and forth to my laptop and have everything available.

I started with Firefox version 28.0 Portable on a 32 GB USB 2.0 stick. It worked,
but slowly. I switched to a USB 3 32 GB stick & it made no difference in speed,
especially when bookmarking something. I do not have flash installed, so some
videos will not play, but lots do. Recently I updated Firefox to version 32.0.2

It cut the speed down a lot more immediately, especially when bookmarking. Also,
now it freezes every 3rd click or so & doesn’t do some things at all, like play
playlists in YouTube. It gets to the end of a song & just sits there trying to move on
unsuccessfully, or just plain stops.

Most of the time now, but not always, I cannot log into any of my e-mail accounts, & sometimes when I do get in, I can’t open individual e-mails. It does open in Internet Explorer though. I don’t know if it makes any difference or not, but I have a large amount of bookmarks. The file is roughly 22,000 KB in size.

After fighting with this for a while I had enough & went looking for something
else portable to try & found Midori. It is not real fast, but a lot faster than Firefox
has been & does play the YouTube playlists. My problem here is that when I
imported the FireFox bookmark HTML backup it only got part of it. I have been
trying to find where Midori keeps bookmarks but have been unable.

So, does anyone know where to find the bookmarks in Midori, so that I can
delete the contents & start again, or is my bookmark folder to large to move
successfully. Am I trying to run these portable programs on to0 small an
external drive or is something else wrong?

Thanks for any help.

1. Looking For Help

Hi Oron.

Thanks for your reply. I have started doing something like that. I deleted
    Midori & installed Palemoon portable on the same USB stick. I only put
    on 3 extensions so far, to block ads mainly. It is nice & fast, faster than
    FF has ever been since I have been using the portable version on the
    USB stick.

I can copy & paste links & folders directly from FF to PM, so I am just taking
    a few at a time that I need, & deleting a few at a time that I don’t need.

What I would like to do if I can find such software, is have one central
    bookmark list on the USB stick that can be synchonized with any browser,
    both on the desktop & laptop.

Thanks again

It has to be said, with a 22MB bookmark file /nothing/ is going to be fast... Are you sure you got the figure right? I have close to 2,000 bookmarks and my bookmarks file is 300k. Do you really need that many bookmarks?

• Christian Cawley

Yes, I have somewhere around 70,000 bookmarks. No i don't need them all, but don't have time to go through and clean it up.

• Oron J

That explains it! In this case, you probably don't have time to wait for them to load & save every time you use your browser either. Perhaps you should look at a different approach. For example:
      1. Copy the Firefox bookmarks to a separate location on the USB drive and start new bookmarks on FF. If you ever need to find a bookmark in the old collection, search for it with a text-search utility (there are good portable ones available). It'll be a little clumsy at first, but you'll quickly build up a collection of your most useful bookmarks.
      2. Put your bookmarks on the web and search them remotely.
      3. As a variation on the above, use X-Marks with FireFox to backup your bookmarks to the cloud. You can then keep a single bookmark in FF to log into X-Marks whenever you need to search for a bookmark.

I'm sure there are many other variations on the theme. Essentially, separate the important, everyday bookmarks from the rest, and only keep the former group "active" in FF.

maybe .config/midori/bookmarks.db

• Looking For Help

Hi. Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I could not find the file you suggested
      either by physically looking through all the Midori folders, or by searching in
      windows. So I deleted everything (I thought) except the original zip file that I
      downloaded & then extracted & opened up again. The messed up bookmark
      folder was still there. So I got rid of it all again, including the zip folder this
      time, & did what the below comments say. I expect to try again in a bit to see
      if it will work after leaving it off after several computer shut downs.