How do I get a 5TB external drive working with a TV Hub?

Anonymous September 24, 2014

I have a Western Digital Live TV hub that I connected a 2 and 3 TB Seagate external hard drive to and I was able to watch my video content on my television.

I have since bought a 5 TB Seagate external hard drive and combined all the videos from the 2 and 3 TB external to the 5 TB. For some reason it will not recognize the 5 TB hard drive.

Can someone help me?

maybe you need to update the firmware or your Western Digital Live TV does not support 5TB?

Does the drive have it's own power supply or is it Bus powered (only the cable to the WD Live TV?
    If the drive does not have it's own power supply there is always the unlucky chance of the port/device not being able to supply enough power to the external hard drive.

I also suggest to confirm with WD if the Digital Live TV actually supports drive that big.

For example if the WD TV can only read drives formatted using the MBR Partition table you are limited to 2TB as that is the maximum a MBR can address.
    Of course this seems rather unlikely since you said you used a 3TB drive before.

Also the chance that the operating system/firmware on the WD TV does not support drives larger than 4TB. They actually had the same issue (just worse) on older firmwares with drives bigger than 2TB.
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5875