Is the Gateway ML3109 Notebook any good?

Joshua Clarke May 19, 2011

I know it’s an older model, but I found one on CraigsList list for $40 and was wondering if it is any good. The seller says nothing about the operating system, but I was just planning to put Ubuntu on it anyway. Do any of you guys use this laptop (or have used it)?

1. apple MA601J/A akku

apple MA601J/A akku

Typ: Li-polymer
    Spannung: 10.8V
    Kapazität: 60Wh
    Farbe: Silber
    Abmessungen: 138.4*114.2*14.3mm
    Jez.Preis: 55 € Versandkostenfrei

I've only had this Gateway Ml3109 laptop for a month. so far I have not had any problems. I recommend online shopping to a new computer. This equipment is ideal for general purposes. very good price too. 

Refurbished Computers

3. cjohnson9255

I run an operate a computer repair company, and Dell's are the most expensive to repair, and I repair more Dell's then HP & Gateway's together. I would us HP's or Gateway's before even looking at getting a Dell.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've had three HPs over the past 8 years and the one thing that always seems to break is the power supply. One HP had issues with the screen, which started to fail slowly, but I had it fixed (within warranty) before it became a real problem. So overall, I would recommend HP laptops, although the service when I had to send it in for repair was nasty.

4. medionakku

I just want to change my old notebook because of  the laptopbattery which can only work by seconds!!!i think you should warry about what i am happening

5. Roy

That is pretty old, and low-end at that.  A Celeron M isn't much of a processor these days.  Probably on par with a single-core Atom.  It would run Windows XP ok, but I wouldn't want to try anything newer than that.

As far as the quality goes, I had a Gateway from the same series of products (but a Core Duo model, which was a higher-end product at the time) and had absolutely no problems with it.  I used it for several years, and it was a good machine.  It only met its end after I had given it away to someone who kind of abused it.

I'm sure there are plenty of Gateway models to stay away from, but the ML and MX series were at least pretty well made.

• Roy

Also, like @muo_jamesbruce:disqus said, try to grab a Dell.  Their notebooks are good.  That's what I'm using now, I've had consistently good experiences with Dell laptops.  I have a couple of friends and family members who have also.

Roy,

would you say that Dell laptops have dramatically improved? I remember that in the beginnings (about 10 years ago) Dell laptops were notorious for various hardware issues.

I'm also looking into models from HP (been with HP with 8 years myself, quite satisfied) and Sony Vaio (Aibek swears on it).

I wouldnt even consider putting the newest build of ubuntu on something that old. No, I wouldnt pay for it, even $40. You could pick up something better than that down the city dump. Try to grab Dells, anything branded Gateway or HP is guaranteed to suck all the joy out of life. 

• Joshua Clarke

Thank you! I'll stay away from Gateway, then!