Why is my Galaxy Note 4 using so much data?

Vanessa November 6, 2014

I have the new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and have had it only 4 days. Today it started shutting of for no reason and I cannot get it to turn back on.

I tried the Home button, the volume key and the on/off button. None of these methods worked. I even took the battery out, put it back in and nothing. I did this 3 times and on the 3rd time it worked. I also tried pulling the battery out and plugging in the charger. I saw the red light turn on, but it didn’t boot the phone.

I know these phones are brand new on the market, but have you heard of any issues with this on the Note 4?

Another issue are the apps sticking open and sucking data. My husbands brand new Note 4 did this, sucking down 4 GB of data in 24 hours. While he was in the Verizon Wireless store, a lady came in and said her Note 4 sucked up 20GB of data in 4 hours. The only thing they could do for both phones was reset them. This worked a little, but my phone is still sucking data.

Verizon Wireless can’t give the data back but noted this on our account to not charge any overages for our data. So anything you can do to help with either issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

1. Matt

Ich, sorry about the typos there! Must remember to edit before send.

2. Matt

I had both of these issues with my Samsung Galaxy S III. My brand new phone just died completely after two days and was replaced. As an aside to the problem I'll mention my experience with my phone/service providers, O2 Ireland, I phoned customer services, explained to them that my new phone had died completely and I could not even power it on. I explained that it was dead and useless and would need to be repaired or replaced only to be asked rather bizzare by the customer service rep if I was calling them from that phone there and there.... this after listening to their 'let us put you on hold music' three or four times... the intro from Twin Peaks I think...... Well, when new phone arrived I set it up, and noticed that overnight my 1GB data allowance was used though I'd only been using the phone to sync some small sous and read email. In my case I discovered the offending app to be Samsung All Share Play which it's now known as Samsung Link. I deleted the app and my Samsung account from phone and the problem was resolved. I cannot remember the reason it needed to sick so much days but hope this info might be useful to the person asking the question.

3. Christian Cawley

As well as monitoring data usage you might also consider removing some bloatware that may be responsible: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-you-need-to-know-about-removing-android-bloatware-si/

4. David

Go to your settings ?Data usage

see which apps are using the most data.

Press and hold the home button to see a list of recent apps. Flick them to the side to close them out.

Also, I know there was a problem last year with VZW cloud constantly updating and downloading stuff, especially in the middle of the night. I suggest not using any VZW apps but sticking with Google Drive/ Dropbox or whatever else is comparable.

Limit your data usuage. Go to Settings ?Data Usage, check the box that says "Limit Data Usage." Set your limit somewhere between whatever you data plan is so you and your husband both don't go over.

In the Play Store make sure you only update apps when connected to Wi-Fi. Try to always have your phone connected to Wi-Fi (home, work, many restaurants, grocery stores, etc), this way you are only using a small amount of data.

As for your phone not turning on, try to boot it into safe mode and delete any recent apps to see if that resolves the issue. If you can't boot into safe mode take the phone back to the store and swap it for a replacement free of charge within 15 days of purchase.

Lastly, don't be afraid to dial 611 and let the Tech Coach's help you out.

Sources: former Verizon Tech Coach, proficient in Android and Master Badged in iOS.

5. Jan F.

Did you set the phone up as "new" or did you restore a backup from a previous phone? On occasion restoring a backup may introduce some corruption in the background causing apps to just stay active and/or some connection not to properly be disconnected.

On the Settings screen click on Data Usage – it should give you a detailed statistic about which app was using how much data. I would say take a closer look at the top 5 apps and reset any user configuration e.g. email accounts or re-download and install these apps. This might be a possible solution even if you didn't restore from a backup.

Finally check with the Samsung support about known solutions or a possible new firmware. It seems like a lot of Note 4 users are having this problem.

you must have background application find the culprit applications and limit their background usage.check Google+ location
    https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2998354?hl=en

4 Ways To Reduce Your Mobile Internet Data Usage With Android Apps
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-reduce-mobile-internet-data-usage-android-apps/

Save Money On Your Mobile Internet Data Bill With These Apps And Tricks
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/save-money-mobile-internet-data-bill-apps-tricks/

Why You Don’t Need Third Party Apps To Manage Background Data Use In Android Jelly Bean
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-you-dont-need-third-party-apps-to-manage-background-data-use-in-android-jelly-bean/