Why is my Galaxy Note 10.1 unresponsive after the screen locks?

Jacob Spillman-Bell September 6, 2012

My Galaxy Note 10.1 is being unresponsive to touch after the screen locks. Also when I take out the S pen, the screen freezes. The tablet wont even respond to the S pen when it is working.

I have factory reset the device over 5 times, and still no luck. What can I do?

1. Goce

I have same problem but only with Jelley bean. I install the official Rom from Samsung and the device is restarting after 10 seconds of locking the screen.

When I am using android version 4.0.4 everything is ok.

The device is bought from China.

Does anyone has an idea how to fix this issue?

Goce

2. badini007

I had this issue with my Note 10.1 and solved it by changing the Rom. Try and flash a different stock rom.

3. Mik

Same problem here... very annoying

4. Ricardo

Jacob,

I'm having exactly the same problem.

Did you find a solution?

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• Jacob Spillman-Bell

Ricardo,
      I have not found a solution to this yet. I think I will just try and send it back and get a new one.

Hello Jacob, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems.

A factory reset does not always return the device to a like new condition. Many of the apps that are installed to the system directory and SD card are not removed. You may actually need to manually remove (as Harshit Jain mentioned) all the apps. This is because different companies have different standards for what a factory reset means. I believe most manufacturers design their resets to flash the original factory image over the the existing OS files, which leaves many of the user's apps in place. It will also wipe both the system cache and Dalvik cache.

If that does not solve the issue, try holding two finger on the screen when it locks up for a few seconds. Then try unlocking it. This method used to solve locked screens in earlier versions of Android, although it probably won't work on newer versions.

This is not the first time I've heard about the Samsung screen locking issue. It may have already been addressed with a firmware update. Try installing Samsung Kies and updating the device.

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Finally, in the likely event that none of these solutions fix your issue, if it's still under warranty, as Susendeep mentioned, you should probably return it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportServiceWarranty.do?prd_ia_cd=N0000003&prd_mdl_cd=SGH-I717ZBAATT&prd_mdl_name=SGH-I717

Good luck!

Ask for replacement as it's faulty unit or else ask for money back as even factory resetting the device is not solving your issue.

7. Vipul Jain

running any custom roms or kernels?

8. Harshit Jain

May be you have installed lots of apps that are hanging it.Try removing useless apps.
    Also try an antivirus scan. I would recommend a trial version of paid security suites such as norton or avast.