How can I keep my MakeUseOf questions from Google name search results?

Christine S August 16, 2013

Well over a year ago I did a Google search with my name and saw several questions I posted to MakeUseOf.  I promptly forgot about it until a friend said to me “Wow, you really have been busy these past two years.  Your name produced a lot of feedback when I searched it.” Still not sure why she did this as she is my neighbor!

I was too embarrassed to look at first and when I did, well I am just not comfortable with absolutely everything. Shouldn’t there be a little box to check “yes, its okay” or “no, its not” before my silliness is everywhere?  I do not like doing the whole anonymous thing.  Is there some other alternative?

1. Christine S

Thank you, all of you for your advice, issue resolved
    Christine

• Susendeep D

Christine,

I'm glad that your issue is now resolved.

Kindly mark your question as resolved by clicking on the tick mark icon present on the left side of a comment.This would mark your question as resolved.

This isn't what I call a petty issue, but a reasonable question as to why it is easier to find MUO posts under one's name than it is for other things to show in Google search. Your neighbor, on the other hand, seems a bit questionable for not only Google searching you, but telling you about it face-to-face. I think it is a smart move for MUO to strengthen privacy by not showing the full last name by default, however, it won't help what is already out there that does have the full name on posts. Yes, my name may be a pseudo, but I learned even back in the early 90's (I was barely a teen) that if you don't want skeletons in the closet around the internet, so to speak, hide behind a cloak. If you want to look professional, even through Google search, conduct yourself in a professional manner where personal names and information are concerned. This way, especially as employers are searching the web about their employees more often nowadays, there is less of a chance of embarrassing, questionable, or fire-able offenses being found. At least that is how I planned everything before posting things on the internet. Of course, thorough digging can find out a good bit, but why make it easy to find everything that you don't want everybody knowing? Anyways, I wouldn't question this as much as I would question your neighbor.

3. Justin Pot

This is a public site, meaning anything you put here is public. It's for this reason some people use pseudonyms instead of their real one. We could ask Google not to list our Answers posts, but that would for us defeat part of the purpose of this section: we want these questions to come up in Google because we want more people to visit the site.

Some sites, such as Facebook or Twitter, allow you to configure privacy settings. We don't, because we want our information to be out there for the wider web. On other sites – the comment section on newspaper articles or forums like MakeUseOf Answers – the only way to keep this from becoming public is to use a pseudonym.

• Christine S

Thanks justin, as usual your the bomb, and i do understand of course you want a wider audiance without it i wouldn't perhaps have found all of you myself. Maybe i am being shy or selfish i am not sure maybe both, but honestly the good MUO does far out weighs my petty issues.
      Christine

Christine,

You need to understand that everything you do in intenet gets stored somewhere for long time or might be permanently.In Makeuseof (MUO),all you ask and answer,comment is stored as an archive.Even if MUO goes out of service,its data would remain as an archive.

So,you cannot hide yourself.

• Christine S

Why?

• Christine S

Sorry Susendeep, i hit post to soon, what i mean is why is this information kept and stored and by whom? i am sorry if i sound ignorant i just do not understand thanks so much, christine
      Please do not misunderstand as i have nothing to hide i just thought that maybe there is a way to pick and choose what the general public sees without having to be anonymous.

• Susendeep D

The information is stored under the servers of the site and is controlled by the site owners. You cannot do anything to what to hide.All you can do is to be careful about your acts you do online.