Why did my fully charged Galaxy Tab 3 refuse to turn on?

Eejjpl March 31, 2014

My Galaxy Tab 3 7-inch has its battery die last night and after charging it up all night, it won’t turn back on. I tried every outlet in my house almost thinking the original outlet was bad but soon figured out that it wasn’t the issue.

I Googled my issue and I ran across this site in the results and found that plugging it in the wall + hold power button + volume down button made it turn back on finally!

My question is, why is it that if my battery was at 97% when the tablet finally turned back on, did it refuse to turn on till I did this trick with the buttons? Is this the start of more issues?

From what I gather, and this is only my opinion, the chip that reads the battery state malfunctions due to such a low power state, and you must perform a power reset in order to get the chip functioning again. To prevent this, make sure that the battery power does not reach below 40% before storing it or putting it away for long periods of time, and do not let the battery die. Unlike NiCad (nickel cadmium) and NiMH (nickel metal hydride) rechargeable batteries, draining the battery fully and then recharging the battery to full does not extend the battery life; it does, however, reduce the life span of lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries, especially if the battery power drops below the safety threshold. It is best to keep the battery charged, and never let the battery drain past 25% if possible.