What are ‘frozen’ apps still running on my Droid X?

jennifer kountz October 5, 2011

I have a rooted Droid X. I froze some of the bloatware, but every time I run my task killer, I see some of these are still running. I have a flash, or back up of my system, so I could just uninstall them. But I’m curious about why some do this.

As long as you aren't using a task killer, Android (and especially Froyo 2.2) knows when to kill off apps and apply the memory in other places as needed. Actually renames them using a particular file extension which allows it to recognize them as "frozen" and prevents them from being recognized at APK packages.
    Just because an app is showing as "running" in Android, DOES NOT mean its using
    its taxing the CPU. Unless the app is classified as foreground, or service, its
    basically just dormant, waiting to be called on and ready in an instant. For the
    most part, freezing apps isnt gonna do jack. 

Do a benchmark with Quadrant
    http://www.aurorasoftworks.com/products

It's most likely because another process is calling (or dependent on) that application. Otherwise, it's a memory leak which even after you've killed the process it remains active, since the OS doesn't declare the process as "dead" until all the memory it used is deallocated, it will still say running.