Why does my friend’s Gateway LX 6810 computer enter DVI power save mode every time it boots?

Terrance March 5, 2011

After scouring the web looking for a solution to my friends above named computer, I thought I had found the answer: install two case fans that Gateway did not provide. The computer is still entering DVI power save mode.

He hooked one fan to power supply, the other to the motherboard. 550W power supply. He can’t even upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 with his upgrade disk, as the machine continues to do this.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

1. Terrance McClary

Thank you.

I can't really see where case fans may help with a monitor related problem.

From what I understand you are able to see the boot screen but as soon as Windows kicks in the screen goes blank.

So first thing I would do is to look whether the Graphics Card needs an additional power connector and make sure it is connected fine.

Since it is a pre-configured computer I will rule out that the 550W power supply is not capable to provide enough power. If your friend did make hardware changes to the computer this still is an option.

Depending on your friends Hardware and accessories one of the following might help:
    - unplug the monitor from the power for a minute or two
    - use a different DVI Port on your Gaphics Card (if it has more than one)
    - try a different DVI cable
    - if the monitor has VGA Input, try connecting it this way
    - if the monitor is connected via VGA-to-DVI adapter try a different adapter
    - try a different Monitor on the Gateway computer
    - try using the Monitor on a different computer

Hi
    Reset CMOS battery, cleane all the dust and reset the memory, memory battery and graphics cards.