Why do some of my friends appear on Facebook chat even when they are offline?

Prashant July 7, 2012

Some of my buddies’ pictures are appearing on Facebook chat list on left side of my main page below the profile pic even if they are offline. It is bit annoying as their pics are permanently stuck on my main page. How do I make them disappear?

1. Rey

I believe its because they are on an ipod or ipad, so they are not on Facebook, but if you send them a message they will get an alarm or notification so they would get it, as compared to a computer where you are signed out and you would not know when you have a notification.

2. raatrani patil

hey opposite question here... hey what can i do to see them?

3. WIlliam

THe only problem im having with my chat bar is that I have to hold Cnrtl and then scroll my mouse wheel out to zoom out all the way in order to see everyone on my list. But they are then so small, i cant read them. This seems to be some sort of scroll issue. The names are there, they are just compressed behind the other ones. Scroll out all the way, and you will see other names pop up in the list...

4. ferdinan Sitohang

i think, it is because a cache, clear the cache of your browser, think it will help

5. Oluwaphemmy Popoola

what happens is that any of your friends that are online will be indicated with a green sign...

• Tudor

In my case, I have friends that are stuck there with no green sign, whether they signed in or not. It doesn't change at all.

6. Le Mon

this happens mostly if you are using a 3rd party application [ mostly on mobile phones] apps like ebuddy, slick sometimes shows you are online even after you had signed out also. The other reason is due to slow slow internet connections :)

7. Shakirah Faleh Lai

That was default chat list. I wonder when will facebook let use arrange our friends in our chat list and hide offline friends. Martjin is right, social fixer can help you
    http://socialfixer.com/

8. Susendeep Dutta

It's because they are using Facebook mobile so they are visible.Even I see them and I'd noticed it.You cannot do anything to remove it.

• Martijn

I don't think so. I have offline friends, whom I'm pretty sure of that they're not using facebook mobile. These people have also no phone behind their name.

As removing it, I'm using social fixer with which you can tweak the whole facebookpage.

Still curious,
      Martijn

9. Ravi Meena

Same question Here, someone please answer.