Can someone become my friend without me accepting their friend request?
Question by Dennis Perez /

I have friends on my Facebook friend list that I did not accept.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• doug clever

Can someone hack into your fb account make you thier friend then hide themslves from you so you cant see there profile or name at all. I have 845 friends and when I go thru all of those friends I see a space missing where thier should be a friend in that spot. It adds up also when i count them including that missed spot to 845 friends. why cant i see that missing spot which add up to the 845. I know it is not a deactivization becausr those accounts will tell you that they are deactified and they also are added into the 845 friends.

• gman

it appears to be very possible what ever anybody says

I had somebody supposedly accept my friend request and I hadn’t heard of them and the 4 mutual friends are all musicians of whom I have no interaction with other than to keep updated with upcoming stuff so there is no way I would of just added this random…

Also, I have noticed that the friend count has gone up and now includes people that have either left facebook or are no longer friends of mine

• amanda gage

I was sitting at my computer when on my news feed I see I had accepted a friend request from someone I did not know nor did I receive a friend request from or sent a friend request too…a few mins later my boyfriend had the same thing happen with the same person…I went to her page and it said we had 53 friends in common including some of my family members from another state. I unfriended her and went back and looked all the people that were supposedly both of our friends were not on her friends list anymore ..I changed my password but this is very bizzare…

• Maxine

This happened to me today too! Someone who showed up on my page as mutual friend but not someone I want to befriend has just accepted my friend request and I know for certain I didn’t request them. It’s embarrassing!! WTF is going on FB??

• Linda.M

This has happened to me 2 days ago when I logged in on facebook it said 2 people had accepted my friends requests….. Firstly I don’t no these people and secondly I did not send any requests….. While online a 3rd person showed up as accepting my friends request and this time I sent a message to that person asking them if I had sent them a friends request and if so when did I send it……….. His reply was he didn’t get a request from me it just showed up on his page when he logged in that him and I were now friends,…….Now I don’t no this person either and would never and have never sent requests to random strangers……. My question is……..
    How is this possible ??????

• dhilipan

yap that not possible, email facebook to check your account and if you suspect that is hacked by others.

• Douchebag Fighter

James is a douchebag because it does happen.  Lol.  He must work for FB.  One of those nerds that think they know everything.

Lord Douchebag reporting for duty. I programmed Facebook in my sleep. And to correct your grammar – “think they” should be “do”. 

• Kevin

Dear Lord Douchebag,
      Since you programmed Facebook in your sleep, can you please tell me why in three days that I was not on the internet, I had 30 people accept my friend request, with in 3 hours time frame. Five of these people I knew from around the world, with no mutual friends, the other 25, no clue as to who they are… one of them asked me who I was, and after looking at my friends, saw and added my ex wife’s sister who he dated 6 years prior. Before he added her, we had no mutual friends. Another, asked if i was the guy that lived down the street, which has yet to determine for sure. So 25 people, no idea how they were sent a request in the 3 days I was camping, (i had my computer in my car with me) since I never sent any friend requests to any of these people. 5 with no mutual friends from different states that I knew from over 5 years ago, when i met them in the Marine Corps. It just doesn’t make any since unless somehow they are implementing something that tracks, “this person was here from this date to this date, so they could know each other” and sends possible friend matches to people. I dont get it. I would understand if, say i had there number or email, and an app on my phone sent them requests but that was not the situation this time. I know i didnt just forget i sent these requests because, the 5 that I know, i didn’t know there first names because they were military.

• Yonathan

IT IS POSSIBLE
    A few months ago there was this link being shared through Facebook saying “OMG look at you in this video!” and variations of that line. When opened it would show a textbox with JavaScript code which it said should be run.

This would do the following:
    – share the link with many of your friends
    -add two people (sharing the same last name) to your friends list
    -log out

• illogical_slacker609

Hate to be nitpicky, but if this is what’s happening then James is still right because this means your account was hacked. There’s a high chance that everyone here who believes that Facebook is adding friends without permission clicked on spam like that video at some point and was hacked by a less obvious scam.

• Donnamartin1

Im not sure what’s going on with FB at the moment but over the past week I have had 2 people accept my friends request and I know for a fact I didn’t send a request as I never send requests to anyone, 1 person is an old school friend and the other an old work colleague. My account has not been hacked and no one else has access to my account. How can this happen?

• iDontAddRandoms!!

a few wks ago a person with 2 mutuals accepted my request – i do NOT know him. today, it happened again, no mutuals, and i do NOT know this person either. 

noone has access to my computer, and noone has hacked my account. 

• JOY

It happened to me…I sign in to fb and find that new friend which I never requested or accepted…and I dnt know her whatsoever…and didn’t even get email notification about that!!! So yes it happens.what I did is that I blocked that person and changed my password.

No, it didn’t. We’ve already explained the reasons why you might believe it did this multiple times in the other comments. 

• hannah

it definitely happens, I’ve had it happen to me 3 times with people I don’t know but have mutual friends with. They are names I have never seen before. Stop telling everyone they are wrong.