Can I freeze programs to extend the trial period?

Vipul Jain August 30, 2012

This might be a vague idea, but suppose I download a software with a 15 day trial period. So can I kind of disable or freeze the program when it is not in use and enable when I want to use it? This way I could utilize those 15 days as and when I require instead of that software expiring in 15 days, while I might have used it only for 12 hours in those 15 days (or 15×24=360 hours).

I hope my question is clear!

1. Bob

Simple
    Install your software but do not start the first time.
    Then install a program called "DeepFreeze Standard" and freeze your (C:) drive and leave your extra partitions or drives where you save you work (ie: photos) "Thawed".
    Then you can use you program for the next 100 years.
    Or make a portable "Virtual computer" install all your programs and freeze it.
    Or install a program but don't run first time. Then install free "Sandboxie".
    Then when ever you want to use your program right click it and choose "run sandboxed" from the list. When you close the program all registry entries are deleted and you can also save your work. Sandboxie is also an excellent program for surfing the internet etc,
    These two methods work 100% for every program on the internet.

2. Bob

Simple
    No more cracks, keygens or illegal serial numbers or changing dates.

3. Irshaad Abdool

Timestop

but i recommend buying the premium softwares, think of the developers

4. hazeratti

Download Nirlauncher, and use the lightweight app called: RunAsDate. Give it a try!

5. madyrocksin

hey bro you can use "sandboxie" which will run a program in a virtual environment and stores every file on a folder, when your trial period ends just delete the contents of that folder and you are ready to start the program's trial version again.
    ofcourse the program called sandboxie is quite a bit to configure but if you invest a couple of hours on their website, it can prove very useful to you :)
    here is the link to website and you can check out there forum also
    http://www.sandboxie.com/

6. cypherinfo

Hello, I'd just try to ask IBM to give a version to use for testing an application of yours; I mean if you are beta testing one application you may need to test it when interacting with the IBM one. The copy of that should be given for free (may be an enterprise edition which does not require to be activated).
    Another way may be to tell IBM you're in te process to write your thesis so you'd be grateful if they give you an extension of the trial or a free copy.

Thank you.

IBM SPSS is available as a GradPack exactly for your purpose. :) You can get more details at http://www-142.ibm.com/software/products/in/en/spss-stats-gradpack/

8. Lambvolution

it's illegal bro, it's same as you download the pirate version of the software

9. Denis Paley

Viewing the comments on this problem over half of them are advising the person to basically steal the software. Trial periods are there to try the program not for a person to try and then steal that program. It surprises me (but maybe I'm gullible ) that answers like this are allowed on this site. People work hard to create these programs and I feel that they should be reimbursed for their work.

• Vipul Jain

I should make it more clear that i was originally asking for a way to use the trial period minute by minute instead of day by day basis.
      I never asked how to get a trial to run for a lifetime nor did i ask for any keygens or torrent alternatives.
      People who produce softwares should very well be reimbursed if you plan on using their product as a part of your routine...!!

Really simple way to freeze the trial period deadline - BUY IT!

11. Amit Sinha

Earlier this method is used by hackers to make any software full working. But nowadays this method is outdated and hackers use other method to crack the trial and make any software as full version.

These days no software can be cracked using this method.
    Doing this in anyway breach the terms of the respective software.
    Even you can search for serials and patches of the software on Google, but beware most of patches for software comes with inbuilt key-logger and spyware did t at your own risk.

12. Nikhil Sahani

Try time stopper 4..Time Stopper is useful software for you which can stop the time for trial version software.

13. Vipul Jain

so in conclusion, there is no app literally to freeze the app the way i wanted it to? there are just workarounds, right?
    if yes, i'll just mark the question as resolved!

Yes. Youre asking to pirate software without actually pirating it.

• Vipul Jain

well, now if you put it that way!
        Though i was actually asking how to fully utilize a trial period.. :D

14. Nart Barileva

you dont neccasarily have to torrent them, you can download them off file sharing website as well

15. Alex Downs

Honestly, finding a Keygen would probably be the best course of action, more well known (i.e. Expensive) Programs you can probably find online through Torrent if you want to go that route.

Hello, I have tried doing that in the past and it has never worked for me. Of course, is has not been tried with software like the one you are talking about. Most times when you start the trial you access their portal online and it gets recognized in their servers. Unless the program has online access to your computer, they have no way of knowing if program is still uninstalled or not.

IBM SPSS is widely available as a trial in their site, the only option I see is for you to download the trial under one name, use it, and then when it runs out download it again. You might be able to get away with using same user name or if not, register the trial under a different user name.

• Vipul Jain

that's a viable option. thanks, will keep it in mind.

17. i0ni

You could just torrent them. Same thing.

• Vipul Jain

i am in a residential MBA program and torrent services are, unfortunately, blocked here..

18. GrrGrrr

Justin setting clock may not help in every case.

Vipual- u could try and go for sandboxie, or better go for virtual machine in which u can run/install the software over & over again.

• Vipul Jain

thnx, i'll try sandbox or the virtual machine idea with Virtuabox or VMWare.

• Douglas Mutay

Your idea is great! Thanks for the tip!

19. Justin Pot

You could try setting your clock to an earlier time, if you're desperate. That's worked for me in the past. You can also find specialty uninstallers that will remove all reference to the program from your system, allowing you to re-install the trial from day one.

Overall, though: just pay for the software. Companies need to make money somehow.

• Vipul Jain

I need the IBM SPSS for my MBA right now. And my college has provided me with the SPSS 14 edition while the current version is 21.
      This is why i wouldn't prefer paying for the software.

Presumably the version they supply is sufficient for the course. Use that.

• Vipul Jain

its just 15days. While the SPSS Subject in the course is for a trimester and maybe more.

That doesnt make sense. If they give you a version of SPSS, presumably they give you student licence to activate it too. Are you expected to purchase the software? Most universities have full licenses available to all students.

• Vipul Jain

lol, MUO ran out of replies option there.
          (you guys should accommodate a way to keep adding replies though)
          anyways
          We are being provided the SPSS 14 that too with a network license not individual student license. I personally find using SPSS 14 while 21 is out, a waste of technology.
          I even talked to my instructor and he said i should get the trial version, so i just needed a way to extend the trial since neither the institute is willing to upgrade nor can i afford to buy SPSS.

• April Eum

sometimes just not connecting to the internet too for me.

• Vipul Jain

SPSS requires a connection before start so that can't be an option.