What is the best free website design tool for a beginner?
Question by Phantom /

I’m am about to design my first website. What’s the best free website design tool to create a professional site for a complete beginner?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• Rebrad9

Weebly is great. Only problem is, after you’ve got your site up and running they take half of all the money you might make on adsense ads. Or did I misunderstand this?

• Phantom

I ended up using iWeb in the end! Very easy to use and i even added some basic HTML code. Only issue I have with it is the ability to update the site as you have to publish to a folder before uploading it via FTP. I haven’t yet worked out how to update a single page but other than that it made a pretty website ( which is all I wanted!). Thanks for all your posts

• Davdun75

Weebly is easy to navigate with plenty of options and, provided you purchase your own domain name (ie. “so-and-so.com”), you avoid using the domain name of the free website builder (ie. “so-and-so.weebly.com”)

• Nnjathlete

Webs.com is one if the best. Plus, they recently overhauled their sitebuilder and their website has been redesigned. Worth checking out.

• G4321m

Weebly worked great for me.

• Scott

Be great if there was one of those famous MakeUseOf tutorials on this topic — or rather, on the two topics that have emerged here as a consensus favourites: WordPress and Kompozer. I’m not a tehcnophobe, but I know my limitations, and the thought of embarking on a website project and then hitting problems midway through has so far put me off any attempt!

We might run a poll about this in coming weeks. We’ll provide readers
      with available options and let them choose what they feel is the best
      option for beginner. this should be helpful.

• wicked owl

I have used WordPress, and I like Weebly better. The sites are cleaner and more beautiful. I teach technology at an Elementary school and with a minimum of instruction my 4th grade students chose design themes, created pages and subpages, added text, and uploaded pictures – all in less than an hour.

• BradPitt_LookieLikie

Avoid RapidWeaver, it isn’t a proper editor!

• Phantom

Thanks for all your replies, lots of stuff to check out. I’m going to have a play about this weekend, hopefully won’t get too confused!!