How can I make a free website for my business?

jun alkonga January 6, 2012

I want to make a free website that contains a description of my business as well as pictures and other things I can use to market my business services. How can I do that?

1. robbannister1

I use http://www.000webhost.com/ to host my website http://www.range-cooker-repairs.co.uk/

I bought a domain really cheap and they host it for free.

I built my site with dreamweaver but the free hosting company has free website building software for you to use.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to awe any potential customer with your website, you'll need to spend a few dollars. That's not to say there aren't free ways of doing so, I just wouldn't advise you doing so. It doesn't say much about a business when they are (presumably) trying to sell a product, yet can't afford to buy a domain name and a decent template. Rather, what that says to me is they aren't making any money because their product is potentially unworthy.

Domains typically run for $15/yr, you can buy a decent template for $50 - 100 from Template Monster and hire a web dev to customize it the way you need it for about $50.

Otherwise, you can use a free host that offers a free subdomain. These domains are typically visually unpleasent, as they are a 'sub domain' of the hosting company, such as 'yourwebsite.hostingcompany.com'. Again, check my previous post for a list of such hosts that offer free hosting and sub domain names.

As a side note, on top of having a domain and customized template, if you plan on selling products directly on your website (i.e not through a payment portal such as PayPal), I highly recommend you purchase an SSL certificate. This will encrypt the conversations between your webserver and your users, adding an extra layer of security and giving your [potential] customers incentive to chose you over the competition.

Additionally, if you want to be discovered online you will need to optimize your search engine visibility, in a process called 'SEO' (aptly named search engine optimization) which can run you up another $50. These are the bare minimum, essentials, in which any company selling products online should be able to meet. You can get away without spending a penny, but don't plan on getting business from anyone.

I was just about to say all that!

3. Mjevolve