What is a free text-to-speech program that can handle multiple voices?

bob dunford February 25, 2012

I am writing a book. I would like for it to go onto a CD so my family can listen to it. To accomplish this, I want a good, free text to speech program that can handle different voices to represent different people in the book. I’ve been looking and my friends say there are lots of programs that can do this, but I can’t find them.

1. Marcus L Endicott

Bob, this is actually a very interesting question.  The short answer is that I don't know of any.  The Catch-22 here might be "free".  You have gotten some good replies though.  This touches on the existing, nascent fields of eDrama, Virtual Drama, Interactive Storytelling, Storytelling Systems, Transmedia Storytelling, and Virtual Storytelling.  As someone who designs conversational agents (chatbots), I'm not exactly sure how you would get the different voices to recognize themselves within the text (for example of a novel).  Most such dialog systems work off of screenplays, for instance, where the dialog is more obvious. I'm not really familiar with the more fancy types of eDrama and Transmedia systems.  You can find something more about all this at http://meta-guide.com

3. Karkala Nayak