Is there a free storage solution to upload and publish audio podcasts for free ?

Jay January 18, 2012

I researched to a good extend in this area and found no free solution.

It’s hard to believe that in this age of free web storage (I mean, free email, file storage, video streaming etc), there’s no free solution for podcasts. Is it because podcasts are yet to become very popular internet media like video streaming and youtube? Podcasts (atleast audio podcasts) take only minimum storage (like 10 mb per file), but nobody offers a free service.

The cheapest I could find is lysbin. in general most podcasting services charge $5 a month for just 50mb data maximum. I really want a free solution where I can host audio podcasts for free. I also want to list them in Itunes and serve the community with free podcasts.

Please let me know if there’s a free workaround to host free audio podcasts in iTunes and other services. Thanks

HI,   thanks for all the replies. It inspired me very much and I am very enthusiastic now. All of your words are so much encouraging.
    Can I upload mp3 to my public google docs account and use the google docs mp3 url for syndication on rss and podcast. Please reply. thanks

Hi Jay. If the URL is publicly accessible and doesnt have a gateway of some sort to go through (ie, its literally just a file link), then in theory yes you could. 

You still need a website to host the website / RSS feed though! Either way you try to get around this, it cannot be done for free. Pony up some cash if you're serious!

(like we did : http://www.technophiliapodcast.com )

good recommendations!

I don't know why this is so hard to believe. Podcasts are prone to use exponential amounts of badnwidth as they are downloaded by many people. Links like mediafire etc sell premium services, and push that to free users, so they can make a profit. Youtube has ads to pay it's bandwidth, and made a huge loss for a long time. A podcast feed, for iTunes and such, is a simple file download enclosed in an RSS feed -  with no chance to push your premium services or advertising, and the possibility of an awful lot of downloads. It would be easy to take advantage of that. So no, it's not hard to believe that there are no free solutions. Just as there is no 100% free file storage that doesn't have some kind of ads inserted or pop-ups.  

My own http://technophiliapodcast.com is hosted on the spare bandwidth of a VPS that costs $100/month, and covers more downloads than we will ever get, even at 50mb+ per episode. 

The cheapest option is to use Amazon s3 storage though, but if you have your own hosting account then likely you have spare bandwidth, so use that. 

None of the solutions posted here allow an itunes feed, which I agree is kind of essential. 

Blog Talk Radio & Pod Bean.

Use a file upload service such as Mediafire or Megaupload and simply link to them?

That doesn't work for podcast RSS-enclosure though. 

Wait, my bad, I was referring to mediadfire and megaupload etc. Looks like podbean is free, but limitd to 100mb and 100 daily uniques. It does handle iTunes though - maybe the best solution here...

Hello, maybe the following will give you some pointers:

http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/22-free-podcast-hosting.htm