What is the best free speech to text software for Windows?
Question by james /

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac Switchers
Mac Switchers

• Alan Mowbray

Hi James,

What is your free time worth?
    I went through this search several months ago and ended up just buying Dragon.
    After downloading and trying out five or six “free” apps, all I got for the 15-20 hours I spent in the search was a big fat nothing. But hey, I did gain some malware and some spyware… ugh.
    So after cleaning up my box I just bit the bullet and bought Dragon Naturally Speaking. I paid over a hundred bucks for it, but I now see on Amazon that it has dropped to $43 – including a headset and free shipping – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081V0JY2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=alame-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0081V0JY2 – Gotta dig that!

Sometimes buying the software is cheaper than hunting for the free that doesn’t exist.

• Jeff Fabish

Well, if you’re going to purchase one I’d probably chose Dragon, though I hate to recommend products I simply saw on a commercial. See a previously asked question, What is the best free speech to text software for Windows? as well. 

Windows has a built-in speech to text feature, go to Start -> Accessories -> Windows Speech Recognition.

• David

windows or windows 7 only?

• Jeff Fabish

For what? Windows Speech Recognition is built into Windows XP, Vista and 7. Dragon (Natural Speaking) is avaialable for Windows XP, Vista and 7. For more information on Dragon’s requirements, see Dragon – System Requirements (applies to Natural Speaking 11, the latest version)

• David

Not built into XP—
      From MS web site: …how to use speech recognition in Windows XP. If you installed speech recognition with Microsoft Office XP, or if you purchased a new computer that has Office XP installed, you can use speech recognition in all Office programs as well as other programs for which it is enabled, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.
      The “Speech Recognition in Office XP” white paper provides a general overview of speech recognition. Topics include installation and setup, system requirements, the user interface, using Dictation mode, and so on.

Hello, yes text to speech is built into XP .  It is very basic though… You can find it by following next instructions.

— click on start
      — control panel
      — sound, speech, and audio devices
      — click on speech

You can also, accessed it by doing the following:

— click on start
      — click on run
      — type narrator

Here is a link, explaining options available:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306902

• David

we were talking about stt not tts.