How can I free space in Ubuntu Jackalope?

Nahla D. September 29, 2011

Hi. We have an old computer at work that is only used for editing and saving documents, and sometimes surfing the net. Since it’s an old machine, it’s pretty low in the memory department.

The OS is Ubuntu 9.04 -the Jaunty Jackalope, GNOME version: 2.26.1. According to the System Monitor, there is only 2MB remaining disk space whereas there are only a few documents left on the computer! So my question is: Is there a similar “defrag” option in Linux? I want to free some space to get rid of the slow-response rate and the frequent crashes.

Btw, I am a heavy Windows-user since forever. I only use the word-processing programs in that computer. I’ve never tried installing in Ubuntu. I find the sudo codes confusing. Heck, I don’t even know where to input those codes. So please, I need help. I tried running the Computer Janitor, but it says “Failed to run computer-janitor-gtk as user root. Unable to copy the user’s Xauthorization file”. I tried again and it says “Essential package dash is missing. There may be problems with apt sources.list or Packages files may be missing.” I am starting to think it’s because of a virus.

Please help! Links for beginners are highly appreciated!

If its not mentioned in Jeff Links The ‘CCleaner’ of Linux, Bleachbit
    Remove old kernels using Ubuntu Tweak
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/omg-5-five-ways-to-free-space-in-ubuntu/

Linux distributions do not need to be defragmented, granted they are using the extended file system (EX2+).

You will need to use those "sudo codes" in order to fix this unmitigated disaster. First go to "Applications" -> "Accessories" -> "Terminal". This is where you will input the commands, it's also the equivalent to CMD under Windows for simplicity purposes. Then read these articles.

Cleaning Up An Ubuntu System
    8 Ways to Maintain a Clean, Lean Ubuntu Machine

The problem with your sources list is probably that a repository may no longer exist or is now invalid. You can find your repositories and delete a source that is giving you the error. Viruses in Ubuntu (or any Linux-based distribution) are extremely rare.

• Nahla D.

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the quick response. I'll check the links you suggested then I'll try to post the results.. I didn't know viruses could actually be rare in any OS! I guess I didn't give Ubuntu/Linux enough credit..

• Jeff Fabish

There are lots of reasons why Linux is better. The transition to making it your main operating system can be difficult, but it's highly rewarding.