How do I free up space on my primary partition?

April 2, 2014

How to free up space on my C drive? I need at least 8GB.

1. Jason D

I suggest keeping any programs that give you the option to install them on another drive so your c drive stays clean and least cluttered.

2. Howard B

You can also try moving the Swap File (pagefile) to another partition, moving your My Documents folder to another partition, or, if your C: drive is not using the entire disk, you can use a program like Partition Magic to non-destructively resize partitions to shrink a non-Windows partition to add its free space to C:

3. Jeff F

You should remove unnecessary applications that are currently installed on your hard drive. You can do this from the Windows Control Panel by going to Start->Control Panel->Programs & Features or it may also be called Add/Remove Programs if you're on Windows XP.

From there, sort the installed programs by size and remove the ones that you know you installed and no longer need. If you're unsure of what an application does, do not remove it or research it first and decide whether you need it or not.

All of the above suggestions are great as well. I would additionally, after removing all the applications I no longer required, run CCleaner.