Why is free space on my Mac hard drive shrinking by 0.4 GB every day?

maki October 11, 2011

I am using Macbook. Hard disk space shrinks by 0.4 GB every day by itself, even if I never save anything on it. I really do not know what to do or how to stop this auto occupying. Could someone advice me please?

1. MAKI

Thanks a lot friends....

I suggest to use a tool like JDiskReport to monitor and find out where those 0.4GB where this storage is gone. 
    Do a scan of your entire Hard Drive, save the report and do another scan the next day around the same time. Compare both reports to find out where the storage was lost.

Only when you know what has happened with that space and where those files built up you can take further steps to prevent it.

3. Mulder

There's nothing to cause it to shrink by 0.4 GB every day on it's own; you have to be doing something. It sounds like you could be building up cache files from Internet browsing. You should try clearing your cache before quitting your browser, and turn off the Top Sites feature if you don't need it or use it.

It's also possible that that amount of space is just a buildup of virtual memory files.

4. Mulder