What free software will wipe all free space on my drive?

Anonymous August 12, 2014

I’m looking to completely erase the HD from my computer but do not want to erase the OS. What’s the best FREE software to do that?

CCleaner from Piriform works well for wiping the free space, as well as cleaning up unnecessary junk files and help with disabling programs that are set for autostart. There are 3 options for wiping free space, which is single pass, 3-pass, and extreme multiple pass that can be used if you are paranoid, but may take a while to complete. one thing to note is that if you wish to clean up your system and wipe the free space so that another person can use your computer, such as selling your computer to another person, you might as well perform a factory restore of the computer to bring it back to factory state. This is so it is more difficult for a general user to find information that you may not want to be found. DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke), as previously mentioned, works quite well at erasing hard drives to the point that most, if not all, data are unrecoverable, or at least extremely difficult to recover without extremely hard work and lots of time. However, you would have to restore the computer to get it back to factory state, so long as you have the restore disk or the restore partition in tact.

2. Junayd

Ccleaner is best. I myself use it.

I agree with Bruce's selection. I don't much care for Glary Utilities but that's a matter of personal taste. There's one other way to do it with no extra tools:

Open the command line
    Type cipher /w:c and press [Enter]
    (if the drive you want to wipe is not C:, replace the c at the end fo the line with the correct letter).
    Wait...

you can do a backup image of your OS , then use DBAN to wipe the hard drive then restore your backup to the drive.

You can use CCleaner, Eraser or Glary Utilities (free for personal use) to wipe all of the free disk space to get rid of remnants of files on the system.