Is there any free software that removes Trojans?

JT Wyatt September 28, 2011

I seam to be getting malware, viruses and now a Trojan attacking my computer lately. I have spend $100.00’s but they don’t remove everything. Any ideas?

1. Stivinn Aura

JT, I'd like to tell you that i've been using the AVG Free Edition for over three years now, and my PC still runs as fast as it ever did - even after I transitioned from XP to Windows 7. It has improved with time and scans all removable drives as soon as I plug them in, automatically deletes detected threats, has powerful scan criteria, and everything that I look for in a decent Anti-Virus (like heuristics scanning, memory scanning, automatic updates, identity protection, etc.). It has worked Perfectly ever since I first installed it. And it has detected countless threats, worms, trojans and viruses from a variety of files - ranging from games, documents, new Chrome installers, and what not.

I simply have to recommend AVG Free to you as well. Go through it's Advanced Settings and personalize it to maximize its effectiveness and suit your needs.

Oh, I *tried* Microsoft's Security Essentials 6 months after it was launched, just to see if it was really as good as EVERYBODY said it was. I disabled AVG, installed MSE, then removed MSE and came back to using AVG when I found it couldn't run two scans at once.

I'm not advertising AVG, just saying that it has served me very well. I even wrote to AVG's support an year back, thanking them for their wonderful work.

2. Osama

I recently used 'trendmicro online scanner' to dispose off a virus which even NOD32 and malwarebytes missed.

Just to add, you should never spend money on any AV software - the free solutions are the best. Windows Defender is free from Microsoft and works wonders. 

boot into safe mode and scan pc with clamwin
    http://www.clamwin.com/

Be very careful about which applications you purchase. Some will just record your credentials and scam you (Rogue Software Lies – Hang Onto Your Money!)

#1: Malwarebytes
    #2: Emsisoft anti-malware
    #3: Super anti-spyware
    #4: Spybot Search & Destroy

You should install one anti-malware at a time to avoid conflictions. Have an anti-virus constantly running as well, to help mitigate malware. Check out MakeUseOf's list of anti-viruses (I prefer Kaspersky). Make sure the anti-virus you chose doesn't conflict with your anti-malware. Keep both up-to-date and perform full scans. 

MajorGeeks - Malware Removal Guide (Part 2)
    Comcast - Malware Removal Guide
    Hackerproof - Your Guide To PC Security (MUO Publication) 
    7 Essential Security Downloads You MUST Have Installed

If after this you still are unable to remove the malware, post back!