What’s the best free software for making a slideshow?

jackbruce October 31, 2011

I was wondering what program I could use to make a slideshow (specifically for an animation) that is free to use and easy to use.

I want software with the ability to add audio to the slideshow, the ability have a bunch of pictures, and the ability to export to YouTube.

• jackbruce

thanks jeff , i want to know Microsoft Photo Story 3 is free ?and i want to upload the made on youtube, it can help ?

Hello, Photo Story is free...You only need to validate your operating system installation.  Only thing though, it is only available for XP.  Do not know if it would run on vista/7

• jackbruce

thx, i will try it ,by the way, i used Windows xp, but the hp laptop worked slow, so how about using it in mac?

Hello, unfortunately this does not work on mac.  It is a software released by Microsoft.

similar question : http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/software-making-slideshows/

Windows movie maker can easily create a video slideshow, you will have to just drag and drop the image files, and audio to timeline, you can set the duration for each image.
    If you have xp, it is inbuilt.

You can use a video editor/movie maker of your choice to do the same.

see: fhttp://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-create-beautiful-slideshows-of-your-digital-pictures

• jackbruce

Hi,jay, i was making a youtube video with windows movie maker before, but when ever i try to import my video it says (The file C:and SettingsDocumentsVideos.MP4 is not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported into Windows Movie Maker.) it's really terrible, how to fix that, thx..

For mp4 problem, convert the video to mpg or wmv using format factory.
        if it still cant do it, change the profile of mpg or mmv,
        I have done that same thing to import a mkv video which is not supported by movie maker.

Download : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/FormatFactory.shtml

Can you tell me the details, what are your raw materials and what do you want to create ?
        Pictures and animated pictures can be imported easily, and it is really user friendly.
        You can convert the video . and also slide changing effects are easy to apply.

• jackbruce

the pictures are .png , .jpeg, TIFF. video format is .mp4, i suspect there is something wrong with my WMM.

Convert your mp4 into mpg or wmv to make it movie maker compatible using format factory...it should work as it worked for me. (Just donwload this software from the above link, it will be useful to you for many video related purposes in the fure also)
          Pictures will be imported without any trouble, and you can apply effects to them for slide show.

• Andrei

I know for sure that WMM will support the MP4s that you get when you download a video from youtube sao you can upload it as a private video and then download it back.

It actually pays off for me to upload an avi to YT, downloaddit back as a MP4 and import it in WMM at higher quality.