How can I get best and free software for 64-bit Windows 7?

susendeep dutta December 4, 2010

It’s now recommended that 4 GB RAM is must to run 32-bit Windows 7.But it can read only 2.68 GB and doing a fix will make it address up to 3.78 GB.So I think it would be better to install 64-bit one to utilize one’s money on RAM fully.

But there’s a dilemma that you are stuck with limited number of software and drivers and no Adobe Flash player to browse through videos! So you are left to use 32-bit ones and see browser to crash and software to run slowly.

Is there any way to get free and best software for a 64-bit operating system?
Is there any way to make Windows 7 32-bit address full 4 GB RAM?

1. Mohitk117

For AV, I'd suggest the 64 bit version of AVG Free Antivirus... look on filehippo for it or the AVG website.

For any other software, I'd suggest this list:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/92-free-great-programs-windows-7-a.html

For 4GB RAM it doesn't make much difference using 64bit over 32bit. A 64bit Windows will show full 4GB available yet some of it will be reserved for hardware just like in a 32bit environment. And no there is no way of making 32bit Windows 7 addressing full 4GB of RAM (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx)

Windows 7 32bit runs fine on a 1Ghz system with 1GB RAM. Where did you get your recommendation? As for 64bit drivers you really have to use some old and seldom hardware not to find them.

Software: 32bit applications are running fine in Windows 7 64bit. I haven't seen a single one crashing on my system ~ even those utilizing full hardware like games e.g. Bad Company 2 which is 32bit only.

Regarding Flash Player I don't see any problem:
    All major browsers are 32bit [Chrome, Firefox, Opera] and are able to run flash. Internet Explorer will be installed in both 32bit and 64bit version. If you really want to use IE 64bit, there is a compatible Flash Player version on Adobe Labs.

You have to be more specific what "free and best" software you are looking for. For the sake: Miranda IM is available in 64bit

• Susendeep dutta

Thank you for the explanation.

I got the recommendation by reading articles on many websites and many PC manufacturers put 4 GB RAM for 32-bit windows 7 and those whose hardware is 64-bit capable the PC manufacturers put 6 GB RAM and install 64-bit windows 7 .

The "best and free softwares" alternatives or their 64-bit versions I'm looking for are:-

Avast 5 free antivirus,
      Picassa (image viewer),
      VLC media player,
      Any video converter and VMware player(virtualisation program).

• baddymaster

I too own Windows 7 64-bit and frankly speaking it doesn't matter that much.

I have Google Chrome, VLC Media Player, Avast 5 Pro Antivirus, Picasa 3.8 and many other programs running on my laptop and i have never had problems regarding compatibility or slow speed or crashes.

Just in case you think that its probably because of my RAM, i'll tell you that even i have 4 GB of RAM installed on my computer.

I think you should probably try updating to the latest versions of each of these programs & keep updating regularly....

Hope i was of some help :)