What is the best free online calendar?

john January 12, 2011

What is the best free online calendar?

1. Randman

Google calendar suks. Used it for a week when suddenly - all my entries disappeared.
    Unable to get anywhere thru Google Help. Checked Google forum. Many with similar disasters! All unable to resolve.

2. Tgannon

John,
    If you have not already looked at PlumLife- I would highly recommend it! PlumLife is different from the other online calendars in many ways. It has more features and options to help you keep on schedule. It will manage schedules for many people all from one calendar, contact baby-sitters and drivers, notify others of appointments they need to be aware of, etc. 

It is a great new tool that is catching on very quickly!

Hope this helps,
    Tia Gannon

3. Yosri

I've been using Google Calendar since around 2006 or 2007, and I love it. I depend on it a lot and I find it very reliable. I don't know how many times I would've missed appointments if it wasn't for getting a reminder from Google Calendar or being able to easily check for upcoming events from any browser or my mobile phone.

4. Targoo

http://www.mctimetracker.com seems to be promising !

Appove

6. MJ

Google Calendar has at least one major defect; ironically it's Search function does not give reliable results!  This bug has been known for several years (there are several long thread from users in Google Caledar Help).  The conclusion reached by those thread posters is that Google has no intention to fix this.

If you try to keep track of vacation days you have taken, etc. this is a fatal flaw in Google Calendar that Google has failed to fix for over two years.

7. Thisisheddy

I'm really looking for a calendar that I can add appointments to by email (similar to outlook).  Any ideas?

8. Jenny

I had been using google calendar for my individual calendar.  I started a family calendar on http://www.convenientcalendar.com and it is great.  It is like a family calendar and facebook in one.  The great thing is that it is private and secured and no one can look you up.  Plus you can post pictures on the site.  I do still use my google calendar sometimes, but I am using Convenient Calendar like I would use facebook with my family.

• Brenda

Thanks for the info, Jenny.  I'm going to try it -- don't care for Google. 

9. chriscross17

Check out Sploodle, its a new one which looks promising: http://www.sploodle.com. You can have your own calendar but also share it with friends and find calendars for other things in your life.

10. Christina

Check out keepandshare.com

easy-to-use yet has some powerful online calendar features like repeating events, overlays, mobile phone support, colorful calendar icons and more.

Can also be shared with others. Manage your schedule online and coordinate with co-workers, friends & family.

http://www.keepandshare.com/htm/calendars/online_calendar/best_free_online_calendar.php

thanks for share

11. Ryan

I do enjoy google calendar, but my favorite shared calendar is http://www.convenientcalendar.com

thanks for the link, looks pretty good indeed.

12. Jessica Cam W.

I use Google Calendar as well since I can use the gadget in Gmail, you can add events and get reminders via SMS and RememberTheMilk also has a Daily gadget for GCal, but I should also mention 30Boxes.

• Dale A Stiles

I've been trying to set up SMS from Google calendar.  I know it syncs instantly with the Android operating system phones but how do you get it to send a "text" to other types of phones?

13. Bakari

I agree. Google Calendar works best once you get it set up. Like how it intersects with Google mail and iCal.

John,

without a doubt that would be Google Calendar. It's the first that comes to mind when I think of online calendars and right now I cannot think of an equal competitor.

I'm sure there are other great online calendars and somebody will certainly mention them.

In any case, Google is incredibly flexible, offers tons of ways to integrate with other tools / services (I love my Thunderbird integration), you can share it with friends, and it is unlikely to disappear anytime soon, so you can really rely on it.

If you are scared of leaving all your data with the mighty Google, then I suggest Famundo. The drawback is that it is fairly unknown, nobody knows for how long this service will survive, and whether or not you can trust it more than Google is anyone's guess.

• Pedronava2006

Google Calendar has serious problems. I had an event repeat 236 times, prior calendar entries disappear. I have found it to be unreliable.

• G-annoyed

I've also had some annoying issues that I couldn't "undo" with Google calendar, actually prompting me to look for another and I found this post. I get the "Still Saving ... " message and it won't save, or it will repeat 100's of times, yet won't let me not only edit the entry to revise it (and shorten it) or it won't let me delete ALL entries. I've had this happen enough times that I'm fed up and looking.

Maybe it's worth to ask where your issues with Google Calendar come from.

I use Google Calendar from within Firefox and never had issues. I don't use it a lot though, just occasionally.

• CP

We have used Google Calendar for a year+.  Two weeks ago it deleted ALL of the events with multiple volunetter sign-up.  We reentered the curent tpnes and they vanished again.  Gone!  And NO WAY to get any response form Google.  Looking elsewhere now.

Sorry you had this terrible experience with Google Calendar, CP. Nothing like this ever happened to me...fingers crossed!

If you find a solution or a better alternative, please share. Thank you!