What’s the best free on or offline language translator?

Mango the Fruitarian August 26, 2010

Are there any free language translators that let you tweak translations, i.e. via drop down lists of alternative words, formality/informality, choice whether noun/adjective/adverb etc? I’m looking for translation from/to English into the most common central European languages.

1. Mango Wodzak

thanks josh, i pretty much know of those 2 already, and have used both.. but i was specifically wondering if there was a free translator that lets you chose formality before translating, or chose from a drop down list of alternate words, or lets us decide what's a noun and what's not.. all these things are missing with even google translate which for certain languages is otherwise pretty good..

2. Josh Fox

Google's translate service has usually done pretty good for me. There's also Babel Fish, which was once an Alta Vista service, but is now owned by Yahoo. I don't know of any offline translation program that isn't just linked to a web service though.However, I have also found that no translation service is perfect. When translating your native language to foreign for a specific person or group such as on forums, nothing beats having a friend that knows the language fluently to help you out. This helps a great deal to prevent a lost in translation problem.EDIT: URLs for the services mentioned. translate.google.com and babelfish.yahoo.com