What is the best free eMail management software?

Cláudia August 17, 2010

GMail is a great eMail manager, but allows little configuration and even less eMail management functionality, like folders for archiving your eMail in a way such that you are able to efficiently organize them by subject or other.

Is there a free software, a substitute for MS Outlook, that allows good organization of eMails and other configuration, like signature, address book, etc.?

1. James Radley

For kids incredimail but for adults windows live but this doesn't work well on xp

2. free customer service software

iKode Service Desk is a web-based, easy to use and free customer service software and service management software to resolve IT issues by ITSM work flows.

I would defiantly give Thunderbird a go, and if you don't like that, you have Windows Live Mail

4. nm

If you're looking for something free, you could give Postbox Express a try http://www.postbox-inc.com/express_features

I've personally found that Gmail keeps me more organised than any client ever could. Activating certain lab features, together with add-ons has made Gmail indispensable. One of the best add-ons for keeping organised and prioritising your emails is Active Inbox http://www.activeinboxhq.com/

Like the others above, I find GMail's OK really, though the interface can be tiresome. Anyway, for the things you want to do with it, try Zimbra. It's slow (in my experience anyway), but seems to cover all bases.

6. Steve Campbell

Whaaaat? Gmail is highly flexible. If you go into the settings you can create filters and labels for your incoming mail and even set it so Gmail automatically labels emails, stars them, or marks them as read when they come in.

You can also get gmail plugins/extensions for chrome and a desktop notification app so you are notified when you get new mail. You can use Wisestamp to manage custom signatures.

Gmail gives you tons of space for all of your emails without taking up any room on your hard drive. AND, all of your email is searchable right from within Gmail's interface.

PLUS, Gmail's spam filter is way better than any standalone program I've seen, and if you take a look at Gmail's lab feature you will find all kinds of interesting/useful settings you can enable.

Did I forget anything?

Oh yea, you can control multiple email accounts within one account in Gmail. I have about 4 accounts' emails filtered into my main account and I have it set up so that whenever I respond to one my outgoing email is the one the email was originally sent to.

With filters, labels, and stars, I also get all my most important email sent directly to my Droid phone.

Stick with Gmail. :-)

• lisa rothstein

Steve, the filtering and responding functionality is EXACLTY what I've been looking for. HOW did you set up gmail to filter different email accounts AND let you respond as "that person" though your gmail?

• Steve Campbell

Glad to hear, Lisa. It's all right there in the settings. You can go to Settings>Filters to start setting up custom filters for incoming mail, assigning labels, etc.

Head over to Settings>Accounts-and-Import and click on 'Send mail from another address' to set up your response addresses.

Make sure you go into your other email accounts and forward them to that Gmail account and you'll have access to everything.

7. timmyjohnboy

As someone who has used both, I still prefer gmail. I agree that sometimes I miss the folder-type management of many other email programs. I have gotten used to the idea of labels though and find the links off to the left side helpful.

gmail also uses Google Contacts and once set up they are available from anywhere, not just your computer. Check out this recent article with some tips:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-great-tips-manage-google-android-contacts/

All that being said, Thunderbird is a very powerful alternative to Outlook. Check out Tina's link to a search run for Thunderbird and this link to articles tagged "Thunderbird":

http://www.makeuseof.com/tags/thunderbird/

Cláudia,my favorite eMail client is Thunderbird. It comes with a ton of useful features per default, and you can get extensions for almost everything else you're missing.Naturally, Thunderbird supports folders and eMail filtering, signatures, and it comes with an address book. You can also get an extension for GMail-like conversation view or integration of Google calendar.You can browse tons of Thunderbird-related articles on MakeUseOf.

• service management software

Agree with!  email management software is necessary for any business.!

• customer service software

Nice Sharing. Companies use Customer Service software that automates client-vendor communication and several related functions within the organization.