How can I free up disk space in Windows XP?
Question by Max.Urbina /

When I tried to record a CD it shows ‘low memory’.

After I ran a disk clean up and defragmented the C drive, it shows 1% free space and it needs at least 15%. It tells me I need to delete unused files from the hard drive.

I do not have any new hardware or files added, just the updating files for security and for the usual updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Setup: Inspiron 1100 Dell, Windows XP

• Jerome

hey this is optional, you can turn off system restore by going to start>then right click my computer>then click the system restore tab then click turn off system restore then that should free up 200 mb- 2gb depending on how much it was consuming when it was on.. or if you want, you can change the memory it was consuming by clicking the settings under drive settings and put it to the smallest size (to the left), then you can see quite rightside below how much mb it was using.. hope it helps, i have xp and its blazing, so.. and yeah, i dont know if it will work in other windows OS as i have said i only have tried it in WINDOWS XP ONLY.. and yeah thnx.. 

• Will Robinson

Bear in mind that if you have MS Office installed it likes to copy the disk itself to the hard drive to ‘C:MSOCache’* even though it still asks for the disk whenever you modify something. But if it’s ‘as you like it’ then you can gain 685Mb+ by wiping this…
    You’ll need to have ‘show hidden files on';

Tools>Folder Options>[View] Tab>Show Hidden Files and Folders.

I want to add another tool I recently tested:

Wise Disk Cleaner
    http://www.wisecleaner.com/wisediskcleanerfree.html

It is very easy to use, light on resources and very fast. With the default settings (recommended settings) it is safe to use and will not harm your System.

Max,

you are getting this error because your hard drive is almost full!

Please do the following to confirm this:
    1. Go to > Start > My Computer.
    2. Right-click on your C drive and select Properties.
    3. What does it say under > Free Disk Space?

You should have at least a few GB for Windows XP to run smoothly.

If you have less than say 3-5 GB, you need to free up space by removing files or data. You can start by clearing temporary files, such as browser cache or your Windows recycle bin. The easiest way to do this is to use a (free) tool like CCleaner.

If that doesn’t free up enough space, you can also remove programs you are not using or move personal files to an external hard drive.

Let us know whether that helped!

Hi

Take back System Restore space
    If you’re using System Restore, you can get back disk space by going into disk cleanup and clearing all but the most recent restore points.

1.Start Menu / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup
    2.from the Select Drive dialog, click OK or press ENTER
    3.click the More Options tab and click Clean up… under System Restore click OK or press ENTER at the next dialog which asks if you want to clean up all but the most recent restore points

Places to Delete temp files from:
    C:windowssystem32dllcache
    C:windowsTemp
    C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsTemp

Decrease the disk usage size of the recycle bin
    1)Right click on the Recycle bin and click on its Properties
    2)in the Global Tab, move the slider to the left and make maximum size of Recycle Bin at 1% or 2%. By default the Recycle Bin uses 10% of your disk space. Click on Apply and click on OK

Decrease the disk usage of System Restore
    1)Click on the Start button, right click on the My Computer and click on its Properties
    2)Now in the new window that appears click on the System Restore Tab
    3)click on the C: drive from the list and click on the Settings button
    4)Another pop up appears, move the slider below to the left and make it 4% of the disk space. This is done in order to avoid System Restore from stopping completely. 4% of the total drive space is enough to manage your windows files so that you can restore them to previous state in case of any malfunctioning.

Try Hard Drive Power Wash
    http://www.harddrivepowerwash.com/