What’s the best free contact management solution?

Mike Warfel May 16, 2012

I need a good, free contact management database. I need it to be free.

1. Fanul Cartii

For your needs pretty much any mass-email solution should be able to help you to some extent. You just need to decide which one is the easyest.

As a pc-based solution i would us email merge. Host your data in Excel/Accessand them use merge function in Outlook. I hear Thunderbird also supports a mail merge add-on.

In Gmail you can create groups: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=30970.

Or you can use a mail solution hosted on a cheap hosting account. PHPlist is well-known but I have never tested it. I for myself would use Limeusrvey (create survey, create tokens, import contact data in tokens table, save additional information either in the token or in the survey table, send first email (from the invitation tab), set a minimum interval of time between reminders, send regular reminders). You can create in LS small surveys or presentations you can send to your contacts and you will know who (if anyone) has visited them. Unsubscribe links are also embedded in the email by default. Note however that LS is a survey solution not a mail management solution, so be careful with the learning curve.

2. Andy Frame

Try MailChimp

3. Oron

Mike, can you tell us more about your requirements? What do you need it for, what do you require from it, does it need to be integrated with any other software etc?

• Justin Pot

Mike, Oron is right. Without more information we can't possibly hope to answer these questions. What will you be using this database for? What operating system do you use? Should this be a local program, or web-based?

• Mike Warfel

More details about a contact management data base, Web based or local - I would prefer local but am open to suggestions, Browsers are both Chrome and Firefox. Using an older machine that runs windows XP, used outlook but was hoping more contact oriented. A Contact Management Database so I can keep track of 200+ people to organize and keep family/ likes/ dislikes & things to note down. My thought is that I need to be able to touch these families 4 to 6 times a year to keep my name as a Realtor fresh in their minds. Hoping to earn more referrals and build up a data base for mailings, emailings, texts & Phone calls.
        I hope that answers your question to clarify.
        Mike