What is the best free cloud service?

Jon Smith August 4, 2012

What I’m looking for is free and a bunch of space.

I checked out Dropbox, Skydrive, Ubuntu One, and Google Drive, but they don’t have a lot for what I want to store. I also looked at Symform’s peer-to-peer that comes with 10 GB off the start, but I’m not sure if that one is safe.

I want the community’s opinion on the best free and large cloud service.

1. Abba Jee

Here are 20 of our Favorite Cloud Computing Storage and Sharing Services Online

Ubuntu One

Is your personal cloud. But it’s not just about syncing files — whether you need to access your contacts, notes or bookmarks from any computer or the web, enjoy your favorite music from a cloud integrated store or stream your entire collection to iPhone and Android mobile phones.

Amazon S3

Is storage for the Internet. It is designed to make web-scale computing easier for developers. Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web.

Google Docs

Create and share your work online with Google Docs Google Docs is a free, Web-based word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, form, and data storage service offered by Google. It allows users to create and edit documents online while collaborating in real-time with other users.

ZumoDrive

Is a cloud-based file synchronization and storage service. The service enables users to store and sync files online and between computers using their HybridCloud storage solution.ZumoDrive has a cross- platform client between (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and Palm webOS)

Dropbox

is a Web-based file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc. which uses cloud computing to enable users to store and share files and folders with others across the Internet using file synchronization.

Egnyte

Delivers an all-in-one file server solution that combines unlimited, on-demand file storage and workgroup collaboration capabilities with an automated, online backup. Egnyte has versions for both Windows and Mac, and is aimed at the small business/home office market.

Zoho

Zoho.com offers a comprehensive suite of award-winning on-line business, productivity & collaboration applications. Customers use Zoho Applications to run their business processes, manage their information and be more productive while at the office or on the go, without having to worry about expensive or outdated hardware or software.

Carbonite

online backup service works quietly and continually in the background protecting your files. If something goes wrong or you delete a file by accident, we’ve still got a copy. Carbonite Online Backup now includes remote file access! Retrieve files you have backed up with Carbonite from any computer with an internet connection.

Wuala

Is a free secure online storage which allows its users to securely store, backup, and access files from anywhere and to share files easily with friends, groups, and the world. Tens of thousands of users and thousands of communities around the world are already actively sharing millions of files, growing quickly.

CloudBerry Backup

Provides a powerful Backup and Restore program designed to leverage Amazon S3 and Microsoft Azure storage to make your disaster recovery plan simple, reliable, and affordable. The product is one time fee and you pay storage charges to Amazon directly.

Windows Live

Allows cloud storage of files which enables computers to synchronize with other computers even if one or more of those computers are switched off or disconnected from the internet. Windows Live or Live mesh is a data synchronization system from Microsoft that allows files, folders and other data to be shared and synchronized across multiple personal devices and up to 5GB on the web.

Jungle Disk

is an online backup tool that stores its data in Amazon S3 or Rackspace Cloud Files. It was highlighted by Amazon as one of the earliest S3 clients The basic Jungle Disk software is sold as a monthly subscription model, and the customer is billed directly by Amazon for data storage and transfer.

Acronis

Once the files are backed up online, you no longer have to carry your laptop everywhere. When you need your files, you can download them remotely from any Internet-connected PC, not just the original one on which they were stored. Excellent choices for small/medium and enterprise businesses!

2. Somaiya Ebrahim

skydrive

3. kumar raja

Mediafire and Rapidshare are both nice

4. Leyon Chung

Mediafire is one of the options which i think best fits to your requirements. There are several others available in the market though with different storage spaces and features. Now it is up-to you which one to choose from the bulk. I have used MyPC Backup, it is free for a limited time period but on the same time, a handy one too.

http://www.cloudreviews.com/my-pc-backup-reviews.html

5. mohit kumar

Box.com offers 25 GB now.

6. salim benhouhou

the best free are : dropbox.com , box.com , google drive

• pcnin.blogspot.com

Well. I am a newbie in webmuster.
      I am also looking for a great free cloud service that i can i store my sites online data to share them with my visitor. My site is also customized for mobile. So i want a service that both of my mobile and pc visitor can download easily. After study in internet, i use,
      1. Dropbox for audio.
      2. Googledrive for document.
      3. Google docs for script.
      4. Ziddu.com for apps.
      5. Box for video
      okay!
      go to my site for download

7. HLJonnalagadda

SkyDrive. Had an antiquated interface when I actually signed on a few years ago, but MS got it's act together over the last few months. Now it's one of the best cloud solutions out there. And it gives me 25 GB for free!
    Also, check out box.net offers. They give out 25 GB for free for new Android users from time to time.

8. Vishal Mishra

ubuntuone is also a good option !!

9. 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

Google Drive, Dropbox and Skydrive are all excellent. Skydrive is my personal favorite.

10. Krishna Vallabhaneni

More people use dropbox, but Box has more space but with the downside of not having a desktop sync folder

11. Alex Downs

Box is good,current it's offering 25Gb with Fetchnote, so that's a good one, I personally use Dropbox for pictures, music, syncing notes, and small programs. While I use Drive to work on documents. (Word, Spreadsheets, etc.)

12. venkatp16

cloud service can be free to some extent... but not that meet your requirements

you can increase the dropbox size upto 25gb i think

13. Mykle McKee
  14. sigits Sigit

10gb @ cx.com

15. doug

MediaFire is now offering 50GB of free cloud storage when you sign up for a new account.

16. April Eum

icloud, dropbox, googledrive, 4shared and mediafire(although most are apprised from dmca D: )

17. jrasulev

Try Google drive and Skydrive, or Box.com and 4sync.com

18. Mel Reynolds

I bought an Hitachi 320 GB drive on sale, I know its not a free service but sometimes free isn't always the best,

• GrrGrrr

Good.
      time to resolve the question

19. App Crush

Rapidshare or Google Drive are great free and upgradeably ones.

20. Eli

I usually use SugarSync. 5 GB free, 0.5 GB for anyone that joins (I have now 15 GB). Synchronizes ANY folder, very convenient.
    I also use SkyDrive, Dropbox and Box in addition

21. Âdil Farôôq

go for adrive.

22. Reý Aetar

try sugarsync gives 5gb account and more if you reffer it to others
    but if you want some thing with more for free upload your videos in youtube :p and photos in picassa web album and doccuments in skydrive ..

23. Usman Mubashir

For largest free space, click http://www.adrive.com

24. Luke Brannon

I think every cloud service will only offer you a few Gb of storage, that's the point of them! if they offered you 50Gb of storage for free they'd be losing out on a lot of money, I personally prefer google drive because of the whole eco system and I can upgrade to 25 Gb of storage for a measly £2.50 a month! Skydrive is also meant to work well if you use office a lot or hotmail, I've used both services and they are both good, google has simplicity yet efficiency and the whole eco system whereas skydrive has hotmail which I tend to use regularly and the office web apps which are just amazing tbh especially for free word processing etc.

25. Lambvolution

try CX Cloud Storage https://www.cx.com/
    they deliver 10GB storage for free and provide desktop and mobile application

26. Jonas Nordgren

googledrive
    or
    skydrive

27. Ashwin Divakaran

Do Check Out Mediafire ..this is my fav or go for MINUS

28. EL

I like Cubby.

29. sampath widushan

4Shared.com i think..

Are you looking for maximum cloud space or certain features?

You could easily get more storage on Dropbox via referrals (up to 16GB additional storage).

Box.net often has promotions where you get 50GB of free storage simply by signing up using a certain method (previously iOS, Android)

ADrive offers 50GB with a few limitations for personal use but I have no experience with them. http://www.adrive.com/plans

Personally, I would stay away from those peer-to-peer things. Usually they require to provide amount of your hard drive space for other users and you never really know where your files end up and how secure they are on this person(s) compters

31. Osama Javaid

http://www.adrive.com may be the largest free cloud storage.

32. Mila Kun

What I do is to use multiple cloud sites, like Dropbox, SugarSync and Cubby and then save diferent files in each. With those you have more than 12 GB together. It's kind of complicated, but works for me.

• achyut reddy

i do the same. i use different services for different needs.

33. Shakirah Faleh Lai

You should check out these too

JustCloud
    http://www.justcloud.com/

Free Cloud Storage
    http://www.bestfreecloudstorageproviders.com/

• Jon Smith

I checked it out, WOT gave it a several reviews that said it has some hidden fees and could be potentially unsafe
      If you can tell me otherwise, please share

34. Vipul Jain

I wouldnt recommend Rapidshare. Because once you upload something on it, you will be able t download it back only at a rate of 30kbps as a free user. You willhave to buy a premium A/C for speeds above it.
    And all usual file hosts give only 5GB as free (Dropbox, GDrive, Box etc.)
    If you want more than this for free with good service, go for Mediafire. Just keep all your files as private so that no one else can access them.

• Rishabh Sharma

Mediafire is facing many lawsuits and it suspended my 2 accountr for no reason

• Vipul Jain

unless you uploaded something that was copyrighted and shared its links, MF will never ban your account.
        In case you didn't do that, you should contact the MF customer care.

35. Rishabh Sharma

rapidshare