Which free blogging platform is best suited for embedding video?

Cassandra G November 16, 2010

I am a virgin blogger and my blog-to-be’s focus will be multiple videos varying in length from 1 – 8 minutes. Which free blogging platform is best suited to this task?

I am aiming for a simple-stylish layout and would like to employ various widgets, captcha and would like the ability to delete comments.

Many thanks for your expertise! :)

PS: I have attempted to investigate this with little success.

1. Carlos Smith

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!
    I use Blogger since I got the hang of it ever since 2004, I tried WordPress but it was a bit complicating for me.
    http://www.usedheavyequipments.com/

2. Cassandra G

Tina - you're a legend & a superstar! Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge with me. Have a good one :)

Glad I could help! :)

3. Cassandra G

Hi Tina - thanks for the advice. Please excuse me, I'm a bit of a noob! Tumblr does look good but the only thing it lacks is a comment facility. Probably I would embed the videos from other sources. I'm a big fan or open source platforms but suspect I lack the skills/knowledge to utilise them to their maximum potential. Again, thanks again for taking the time to respond : )

Cassandra,you really don't need any special skills to set up Tumblr. Just apply some trial & error and learn as you go. You can't break anything and it's free anyways. You can add videos by pasting the link or you can upload videos from your hard drive, so it's pretty straight forward.Tumblr did enable comments (sort of) earlier this year, you have to enable them separately. After signing up for your first Tumblr blog, go to your > Dashboard, click the > Customize link underneath your blog name (sidebar on the right), wait for the page to load, then go to > Community (bar on top), a drop-down menu appears, at the top under > Replies check whatever you prefer. Yes, it is limited, but...If you don't like the somewhat limited Tumblr solution, you can apply a hack to get a familiar comment field: http://hacks.tumblr.com/post/7489772/comments-tumblr-oldwayAs I said, just learn as you go and don't be afraid to make mistakes. :)

Cassandra,

do you want to upload the videos and stream them from your blog or do you want to embed videos from other sources?

In any case, I would recommend Tumblr. The platform is very simple to use, you can easily create a stylish blog, and you can upload / embed audio and video files. Last but not least, it's free!

I think there is no better free blogging platform out there. But let's see what everyone else has to suggest... :)