What is the best free antivirus software?

Nicholas Pellizzari March 16, 2011

There seems to be a lot of options. I want one that uses few system resources and I’d also like it to not assume that I know what I’m doing on my (Windows) computer. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1. Ajay

I think Avira and Avast go on hand to hand.They are both very good in finding and cleaning viruses.

2. Chcurtis

For Windows, I think Avast is the best (seems most others do here, as well). For Macs, check out Sophos. It's excellent for Windows, as well, but the Windows version is not free. Good security newsletter, as well.

3. Nahla

I personally both use Avast and MS SE...great programs!

4. Brainpup

I have 2 computers of my own running daily and do the setup/building/upgrading and maintaining the Online Security for 2 small business and both have bought big name big name Anitvirus suites. Over the last 2 years I have found that Mcfarts is so full of holes and slow to update/scan/remove that its practically useless. ( point in case: in December with Mac fully updated 1 system caught a drive-by trojan from a Bellsouth.net homepage and it wiped over a hundred files from the companies database...Malwarebytes found the culprit and removed it, then I removed Mac and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and they've never had a problem again)
    NOTE: I have seen Macfarts sell for as low as $19.95, which is still a ripoff. BOA will give it to you for free if you have a bank account with them. yippee, quick way to lose your bucks.
    CA ( Computer Associates) is free from TimeWarner ( my connection: Road Runner Turbo) and I had it for weeks and got 32 different pieces of malware/spyware and 3 different Trojans. dumped it fast.
    AVG was installed on one machine for American Agencies ( one of the companies I do IT work for and after 5 months it it got hit with a Virus that stuck it in a boot loop and the whole time it was stuck in this loop it erased every document on the harddrive. Boy was the company owner pissed.

Over the past 3 years I have found that Avast and MS Security Essential to be the best of all the "Free" antivirus programs you will find. Neither one hits your system hard and both are fast at scans and update daily with no impact on your system.

If you like what you have and "THINK" your protected well, go and run F-Secure's free online scanner, I guarantee you it will find things that your current security program didn't. Panda's got a good "Free" online scanner, as does Bit-Defender. All 3 of these will remove what ever they find too, although Panda is the slowest.
    Bottom line: go with either Avast or MS Security Essential( oh and run Windows Defender too ) and if you have some cash to burn F-Secure and Bit-Defender are about as good as your going to get. Norton's getting better at not being a known resource hog but still needs work.

This advice comes from someone who has being building computers since 1998 and the first PC I ever had was a TRS80 (with the pretty green screen and giant sized floppy's). Plus I have tested all kinds of security programs worthiness at some of the worst Pornsites out there.

• Chinmoy Mitra

Hi, you have not written anything about Panda Cloud antivirus. Is it not worth writing about or you simply forgot?

Maybe nobody thinks it's 'the best'? Why do you think it should be mentioned?

• Chcurtis

Brainpup said "Panda's got a good "Free" online scanner" -- is that what you mean? Or do you mean another product from Panda?

5. Victorh2007

With no doubt, Comodo Internet Security is the best of all.

6. Saic34

kaspersy is the best anti virus......
    it is very osum..1

7. Kiritjani

Obviously AVG 2011

• Dovewoman52

AVG 2011 is when all my problems started. I have a mess right now. I have posted for help, so I wont' go into it but I think it had a virus riding on one of it's download bars. The AVG pc cleaner upper or something like that. A 30 day trial. I wonder if it is from AVG. Also AVG won't work with 2 of my programs it says. I use Mozilla Firefox & AVG 2011 says it is incompatible. 

8. Beosro

Snow Leopard

• Esger Jellema

I know there's a firewall in Snow Leopard, but no antivirus as far as I know...

9. Rosebud6642

When I had a windows-based PC, preferred Comodo. Now with a Mac....little to zero worries!
    :D

• Flatlinebb

Thinking that your Mac does not need anti-virus software is ignorant and wrong. Just like any operating system it has its own vulnerabilities and it should be protected. And it is exactly this kind of ignorance that people producing viruses are preying on. Please do the rest of the Internet a favor and get your Mac an anti-virus package, so you are even less likely to get infected and then start infecting others.

• Chcurtis

If you have a Mac, get the free Sophos antivirus. Macs are inherently safer than Windows machines (due to the Unix file permissions system), but not bulletproof.

10. Goran

MSE, hasn't let me down yet.

11. Roby Hartland

AVG or AVAST...they have both done me well for years

12. Mango

Immunet, uses very little in the way of system resources, and does a great job of picking up stuff trying to get in. I also use Comodo Internet Security, which I am very happy with.

13. Sudeep K. Bansi

Avast and MSE.

14. Sudeep K. Bansi

Avast and MSE.

15. Sudeep K. Bansi

Avast and MSE.

16. Osama

avast

Hello, another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast

• Dovewoman52

Can I use MSE if I don't use Explorer as my browser? I use Chrome or Firefox. Neither are performing as they used to. I'm not too happy with any of the browsers right now. I HATE that Bing keeps hijacking me. That makes me angry plus I don't like it! Anyway, can I use MSE and Avast with out using IE? Do I use them both or pick one only to use? Thanks for your input.

18. Elliott Rodgers

AVG hasn't let me down and have been using for years and years and years. A few years back my then flat mate got a virus on his PC using a well known commercial AV program begining and ending with the letter N. AVG found it, cleaned and all was happy.

E

• Dovewoman52

I've used AVG for at least 2 years along with Malwarbytes. The computer store said they would not interfere with each other and to run Malwarbytes first. I had a good 2 years. (Another computer store at first told me I couldn't have them both, but then found they were good together.) I added some sort of AVG trail version and have had a problem ever since. i have taken AVG off and am trying another product. Now I am wodering if the AVG trail was a hack/virus and not really from AVG. Any ideas?

It's almost impossible to tell for us whether or not that AVG trial version a) caused the problem and b) was in fact malware. Hope you were able to fix the problem. 

Regarding your other questions in this comment thread, I recommend that you post a new question of your own instead of replying to an old question. You are not likely to get a lot of answers here.

19. M.S. Smith

Honestly?

Microsoft Security Essentials.

I know. Microsoft making stuff that's good. It's crazy, but there you have it. For proof, check out AV-Comparatives: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_retro_nov2010.pdf

I second Microsoft Security Essentials.

And if you're looking for something that's not from Microsoft I suggest
      Avira or Avast. both come with a free version.

Aibek

I agree that right now MSE is one of the best AV Softwares out there. I also believe it will perform even better today then it did in the December AV Comparatives report.

Since it was specifically asked for free Software:
      My personal opinion is that you should never pay for an AntiVirus Software unless your requirements or the Licence Agreement forces you to do so.

• Xoandre Moats

I am wondering what I am missing here... I tried using MS Security Essentials and it was useless in doing anything about virus PROTECTION. Sure, it can scan and identify spyware and virus problems, but it cannot remove them. It shows a listing of THIRD PARTY SOFTWARES (some of which are even spyware and virus hacks themselves) which you can download and install in order to remove the identified items...

I found MS SE to be completely useless.

That sounds weird.

MSE identifies and removes/quarantines viruses just fine. The latest version of MSE includes heuristic analysis to increase protection.

It sounds like a problem on your machine.

20. Imran Kazi

AVG 2011 is best light weight antivirus providing you with lot of options for windows !

21. Daniel Shane

Use a linux based operating system running SElinux & clam AV.

22. Imrankazi111

AVG Antivirus its free & the best antivirus

23. LiewCF

Panda Cloud antivirus. Light weight and free. Great in defense but not good in cleaning. Recommended to install on clean system (right after you install Windows OS)

• Esger Jellema

Panda Cloud antivirus for OS X has a very cute interface like I've never seen before, but it's not free :( How can they do that?