How to format a write protected USB drive?

Saumyakanta S March 9, 2014

How to format a write protected USB drive? My USB drive is write-protected somehow I dont know. It doesn’t have a switch to write-protect. ┬áIt got automatically write-protected.

So how can I remove the write-protect or format? I’ve tried using DISKPART, but it doesnt work.

1. Kelsey T

This happened to me a few times over the last couple of years on my Windows 7 desktop...I still haven't gotten a good answer as to why or how. However, I did get around it by:
    1: I copied everything to another drive in case I screwed up.
    2: Used MiniTool Partition Wizard from MiniTool Solution Ltd. to reformat the drive.
    3: Kept right on truckin', back to business as usual.
    Good luck!

• Saumyakanta S

exactly , this also happened on my windows 7 desktop.

• Saumyakanta S

It doesnt format USB drives .

• Kelsey T

I beg to differ...it's been a while, but I have formatted USB drives with this program. I've also formatted SD cards. I think you may have one or more other issues preventing things from working here. Formatting my plug in drives is the only reason I keep MiniTool around.
      I wish I could lead you somewhere that would help, but I'm at a loss. 8(

Kelsey T you can format USB key with your tool, but if it is hardware problem, i doubt that MiniTool Partition Wizard will fix that.

• Saumyakanta S

anyways thanx for your help , I talked to sandisk support team and they stated --"The flash drive has detected a potential fault and become write protected to prevent data loss. There is no method to fix this. You will need to backup your data and replace the flash drive. Sandisk will replace this flash drive if it is still within the terms of warranty. We apologize for this inconvenience."......

• Kelsey T

Hovsep, that's true. A hardware problem can't be fixed with MiniTool. I was responding to the statement by Saumyakanta, "It doesn't format USB drives." I was hinting that it's probably time to buy another USB drive when I said I think they have one or more issues preventing things from working here. I should have been more specific.

• Saumyakanta S

This software doesnt work !

okay, so apparently you tried diskpart any error message,
      ddi you try to format the USB key on another pc, mac, linux?

• Saumyakanta S

I dont have a mac , I'hv tried PC , formatting doesnt work , and linux - it doesnt even mounts the device .. forget about formatting ....

well maybe you need to buy a new one? then it is up to you, sometime hardware problems can cause this problem.