How can I format a write protected flash disk?
Question by nelson555 /

I have a 8 GB Transcend flash disk. The problem is it’s write protected and I can not reformat.

• Lexcell

Try This:
    1.Right Click on My Computer and Select Manage.
    2.Go to Storage then Disk Management.
    3. Right click on your Flash Drive and Select Format.
    4. If its formatted try and Format it again using the normal method.
    5. If the normal method works it means that your USB is not write protected anymore.

• kunal patil

scan disk Pen drive write protected error

have you tried the above methods?
      also if your usb key is dead then you have to consider purchase a new one.

• teshome

or i can make fix write protected flash disk?

1. Go to run, type regedit and press enter.
      2. Navigate to the path:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
      If the registry key StorageDevicePolicies does not exist, you will need to create it manually.
      3. Highlight StorageDevicePolicies, and then create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value named as WriteProtect.
      4. Double click the key WriteProtect in the right window and set the value to 0 in the Value Data Box and press OK button
      5. Restart your computer and see if this help

or
      1. Start > search bar -> CMD and press enter
      2. type< diskpart
      3. type< list disk
      4. type< select disk # (# is the number of the USB key)
      5. type< attributes disk clear readonly

or
      Neo 9 tool able to get past the write protection and format the pen drive
      http://www.box.net/shared/9hgp81ndgs

• suriya

i have 8GB trancent pen drive but it not formatting when i give format it says the system is write protected…….i could not format my pendrive…….
    so please tell me solution how to format my pen drive…..

• Onyebf

Remove USB Memory Stick Write Protected:
    How to remove a write protection from your USB memory Stick
    1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
    2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
    3. Turn on laptop and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
    4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
    6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
    7. G:\>format G: and press enter
    8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
    9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_write_protected_error_for_the_flash_drive#ixzz1ssAHIKOo

• Madhusudan Krishnamurthy

here is the solution to remove write protection in pendrive due to virus. please do the following steps

start – run -regedit – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentcontrolsetcontrolstoratedevicepolicies

in right side u will be getting writeprotect option, just right click that and modify the value from 1 to 0

Thanking you,

Madhusudan K
    (madhusudana.k29@gmail.com)

• Anas P

This method will work only ,if any Linux OS is installed in your PC (I used Ubuntu).Just start Linux OS.Plug your Pen drive.Open your Pen drive by the system.You will find the files which are affected by Virus which are some time invisible in Windows.Just delete all the files(Right click on the file -> Move to trash).That is enough.(If it is not working,Can’t delete,do it again by removing and connecting you pen drive to PC).
    I Fount this method because,none of the solutions which I got from the Internet didn’t worked.
    I wish this will work.

• Adnan Sial

it all didn’t work… i have also try to done through my windows regedit but could not find ‘storage device policies’. 

Adnan,

I’m sorry that none of the solutions above worked for you. Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer either. Maybe you should try to ask a new question via the respective button on MakeUseOf Answers.

• Eubertklint_25

you should download. add.bat 
      storage device policies will appear

• sushil kumar

VISIT THIS PAGE IT WILL HELP YOU ALOT http://techsalsa.com/solution-to-remove-write-protection-from-usb-pen-drive/
    IF THIS HELP U PLZ LET US KNOW

Nelson,

did the tips above work for you? Please let us know!