How can I format my Windows 7 computer and reinstall the operating system?
Question by ruben /

I have an e-machine with Windows 7. My computer just keeps restarting to the screen of F8, where it has start in Safe Mode, start in Safe Mode with networking ect. I tried them all and it keeps going back to that same screen. I have a backup disk after I had it upgraded, but I can’t get it to run. Help please.

Hello, easiest way would be to get some live cd like gparted and format your drive.  Once drive is formatted, you can install your system fresh.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Make sure that your BIOS is set to start from CD/DVD drive.  Also, format your drive as NTFS.  Once drive is formatted, restart your computer from installation disk and hopefully it lets you install 7 brand new.  let me know how it goes.

Hello, Did you make an Image file of your drive? or did you create a system repair disk?  If you made an image backup you can try an access it by using the startup repair.  Once the safemode screen appears, select repair.  Once repair appear let it run…sometimes it takes a while or you could try cancelling it.  Once you cancel try to access the advanced option.  Once advanced option appears, select restore system to an image.  Insert the first disk of your image and point the path to it.  Hopefully the disk you have is from an image….if not it will not let you do it.  Also, if you select safemode, does it open?  If it does you could run check disk command:

chkdsk /r

i tried everything and nothing seems to work. it says to insert the disk and restart but all it does is keeps going back to the same screen. where it says,”start normally”,”start last good configuration”,”start in safemode”ect…….i tried them all an djust goes back to the same. so how can i erase everything so i can just reinstall the os.?

Before formatting your os,
    You can try system restore and restore to a point when the problem did not exist.

• Renriquez915

it dont let me do nothing. as i stated in a reply to mike, it keeps going back to that screen that has,”start normally”, “start in safe mode”, ect…..everytime it restarts to that same screen.

In general you can perform a reinstallation with a Windows 7 Installation DVD that matches your [licensed] edition.

What type of backup disk do you have? 
    If it’s an eMachine recovery media I suggest to follow the official guide.

If it’s a different media please elaborate how it was created otherwise we can’t determine whether it’s suited for a re-installation.

• Renriquez915

when i got it back after it was up graded to windows 7 i made a back up disk of all my files. im hoping it backed up the os. when i turn on the comp. it goes to that screen where it asks.”start normally”, “start in safe mode”, ect.. i have tried them all and it goes back to that same screen. i cant system restore or nothing.