In what format should I store my movies on an external hard drive to watch them on my TV?
Question by Stephanie B. /

I want to start putting all of my stored movies onto my new external hard drive, but I am not sure what format will be the best bet so my TV will play them. Does the TV model matter?

• sean

i use media players they seem to do the job, play all sorts of formats. there is some good ones out now.

mt problem is i have been doing this for a while now with no problems. just now though my 500g Toshiba portable hdd is having some trouble. it will start playing a movie tv show what eva but then 30min into the flick it will just freeze.

i have delinted everything re installed reformatted and even defraged it but still the same problem.

is it time for the bin for this little girl. (its 2 years old)

• T-TOURISH

HI ALL , CAN SOMEONE HELP ME I HAVE GOT MY WEE GIRL A 160GB  PORTABLE HARD DRIVE FOR HER TV ,IT COMES UP ON THE TV BUT NO MOVIES ARE ON IT CAN SOMEONE HELP

• Kirke

If the hard drive is not visible on your tv it is probably in the wrong format. I had the same problem with my Sony tv and re-fromatted it to FAT32 and it now plays everything, Youll have to do your own research though as I think you’ll need a different format for different tvs.
      I suggest you post a new question as this is an old thread

• Rosevear50

How do I reformat my exterrnal hard drive to play movies through my tv usb socket

• John

Hi all, my iomega screen play plus wont play mp4 movies on it, is this normal and what do i need to do to get them to play? thanks

• Jeffery Fabish

A similar question has already been asked.

generally play divx movies or .avi format movies others will be mpeg, wmv…. There are some DVD players with USB port. Connect your external hard disk to these and you can watch movies on your tv. Before you need to reformat to fat 32 using, beware it will erase your hard drive to so save your videos to your pc first format your hard drive and put your videos back on it. Best to Purchase a DVD player that can handle downloaded files.